Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Question on how to polish your calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Default Question on how to polish your calipers

If you wanted to get rid of some of the rough finish to the calipers before you painted them, how would you do it? I know that paint bonds well to rough surfaces, but I don't want it cast rough they way they are on the car. I was thinking a flap sanding wheel.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

They don't look bad once painted. The paint is pretty think and fills it pretty good after a couple coats.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

If you are using the G2 epoxy caliper paint (which is the only caliper paint I would bother with) you DO NOT want to sand them smooth before hand. By the time you apply the second coat of paint and it levels out (the G2 is self-leveling) it will look very smooth. As you mentioned in your original post, the rough casting actually gives the paint something to stick to; if you sand them smooth the paint is more likely to fail (flake off).
Old 09-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300GT
If you are using the G2 epoxy caliper paint (which is the only caliper paint I would bother with) you DO NOT want to sand them smooth before hand. By the time you apply the second coat of paint and it levels out (the G2 is self-leveling) it will look very smooth. As you mentioned in your original post, the rough casting actually gives the paint something to stick to; if you sand them smooth the paint is more likely to fail (flake off).
can you wetsand the paint after a few layers to give it a finish that will match your car? Im considering the redfire kit and the black kit, not sure which
Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Has anyone used this it? Does it work well?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:59 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skarkull
Has anyone used this it? Does it work well?
I was speaking from personal experience, LOL. Also, about a dozen or so members of my local Mustang club have also used the G2 paint with great results. The key is getting the calipers as clen as possible before you paint. The G2 kit includes a can of brake cleaner, but I picked up an couple extra cans as well. Spray it on, scrub with a Scotch-Brite pad or steel wool, repeat until they are really clean. Then mask off what you don't want to paint, do 2 coats, and let it cure over night (ideally 24 hours) before putting the wheels back on. Mine have been painted for a year with no chips/flaking whatsoever. People I know that have had the G2 paint on thier calipers for at least 3 years have had the same results - it's a good product.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

how hard is removing and reinstalling your calipers safely? Im considering ordering the g2 kit but not sure what all is involved
Old 09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

If you get the brush kit just tape things off and paint away, no need in removing anything.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:58 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

I was speaking from personal experience, LOL. Also, about a dozen or so members of my local Mustang club have also used the G2 paint with great results. The key is getting the calipers as clen as possible before you paint. The G2 kit includes a can of brake cleaner, but I picked up an couple extra cans as well. Spray it on, scrub with a Scotch-Brite pad or steel wool, repeat until they are really clean. Then mask off what you don't want to paint, do 2 coats, and let it cure over night (ideally 24 hours) before putting the wheels back on. Mine have been painted for a year with no chips/flaking whatsoever. People I know that have had the G2 paint on thier calipers for at least 3 years have had the same results - it's a good product.
Yes, you are correct, the g2 kit is great! Just clean your calipers, no need to remove them, and brush on. I put like 3 coats on mine and had enough to put 5 more coats on if i wanted. It looks great, glossy and smooth, i even touched up some rock chips in my bumper cause the paint matched perfect, legend lime in my case.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

where did you guys buy the g2 kit from? I see wheelskin.com offers them but i was hoping to find a site sponsor or a better price

Quick Reply: Question on how to polish your calipers