Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:14 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.

This is what I was told:

If you tint or spray your lights, your lights will eventually get warped, meaning the shape itself will not be smooth because the light bulbs inside the housings are hot when they're used.

What are your opinions, suggestions, ideas?

I was thinking about having all of my lights sprayed except headlights and fogs. Should I do it or what do you suggest?

These are the pictures the guy was telling me about tail lights being warped. *** IT IS NOT MY CAR! *** It was taken on my iPhone.

Also for HID kits, I'm thinking about getting 55W 6000K Digital Bi-xenons and xenon from retro-solutions.com for both of my headlights and my foglights, do you think it's a good idea?

Thanks.

Posting pictures would definitely help on these issues.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.-photo-5.jpg   Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.-photo-4.jpg   Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.-photo-3.jpg   Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.-photo-1.jpg   Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.-photo.jpg  

Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Looks like a bad example.

Here are mine....painted on.

Last edited by tampa07gt; 10-06-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Got a friend with a Cadillac CTS and my brother sprayed/painted his taillights - that was months and months ago and they're fine but there may be more air space between the bulbs and the covers...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Question

Originally Posted by tampa07gt
Looks like a bad example.

Here are mine....painted on.

That's badass man. Did you mix with clear coat and black paint or what is it? What I'm trying to say is that after you have that painted on for months and months, will the lenses warp because of the bulbs running so hot?

Originally Posted by GhostHorse
Got a friend with a Cadillac CTS and my brother sprayed/painted his taillights - that was months and months ago and they're fine but there may be more air space between the bulbs and the covers...
Hm... and the lenses have not been warped yet?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Nope. Not warped. Not yet anyway. I may be wrong, but I don't see the mere fact that they have a thin coat of paint on them on the inside being a contributing factor to the casing itself warping. The bulbs are going to run the same temp, tinted lenses or not. Maybe the PAINT itself is getting too hot and screwing up? Maybe it wasn't allowed to cure long enough? Is the plastic casing actually warped, as in when you run your fingers over it, it feels uneven? I know I sound like I'm blasting the questions out at you, but I'm considering doing the same to my tails. But yeah, I've never heard of the actual plastic getting screwed up from hot bulbs due to painting the lenses...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtnblk.GT
That's badass man. Did you mix with clear coat and black paint or what is it? What I'm trying to say is that after you have that painted on for months and months, will the lenses warp because of the bulbs running so hot?

Hm... and the lenses have not been warped yet?
ONF1R did these. They are a paint/clear mix. I've had mine done for months and in the super hot Florida sun. No issues. The plastic itself can have high/low spots and painting them might show that but it would have to be extreme. Tons of people do it without issue. Pay to have someone do it right and it will be fine.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 PM
fisch
1st Gear Member

Mine have been painted about a year now with no problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 PM
whtnblk.GT
3rd Gear Member

Ok, thank you!

Oh Ghost, I don't think it felt uneven but when I look at it, it looked uneven... make sense?

Last edited by whtnblk.GT; 10-06-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Perfect sense! Knowing my brother, he wouldn't suggest I do that to my car if in time it was going to cause problems like warped plastic, (h3ll, he wouldn't drill out the hood for pins because he said it would wallow out the holes in time since the hood is aluminum) so given what I knew about the CTS lenses and the fact that he didn't advise against it, I figured it was safe to do, but also wanted to ask just to be safe.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
KingB21
2nd Gear Member

No problems here, i think that was a bad job.

Quick Reply: Questions about having lights sprayed and others... I need help.