Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

My DIY Interior Accent lighting on the 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

cool man nice work
Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

So what exactly did you have to do to install them?
What did you buy and how much did it cost?

Perhaps you could really help us out and to a complete write up on it?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

I don't mean to steal your thunder, but I never did get around to posting how I did this mod like I said I would.

Parts used:
10' 16-gauge speaker wire (had plenty left over)
2 6-LED pods made by Optx (can be found at Advanced Auto Parts)
Pack of 4 5mm 12v blue LEDs (I used these)
1 push button on/off switch (bought at Radio Shack)

First off, my car is an 08, so I have the tabs to mount the LED pods in the footwells. The wiring for the unused harness under the center console (it may be used on automatics, mine is a manual) looks like this, and the wire you want to tap into for power is the pink/blue wire.

I used 16 gauge speaker wire from Home Depot (the stuff you get cut to length) for all of the additional wire that I needed. I started with wiring/mounting my on/off switch in the center console. You want to wire all LEDs in parallel, which means the switch is only going to be connected with the power (+) wire to control when the lights get power. I used some of the speaker wire and soldered a wire to each of the posts on the switch (enough to reach the pink/blue wire) and then mounted it, like so...

You can also see where I drilled a hole and put one of the 5mm LEDs to light up the inside of the console. I also drilled a hole in the rear of the cup holder while the console was out to mount another LED... this one isn't actually mounted until the end when the console is put back in.

Next I took the speaker wire (I used the clear half as ground, and copper colored half as positive) and extended the positive/negative wires of each LED pod (again, making sure there is enough to reach from the footwell location to the pink/blue wire). Then I took one of those wires from a post of the switch and soldered it into the pink/blue wire. I then took the the remaining wire coming from the switch and soldered it to ALL other positive LED wires (the two copper colored wires from the footwell pods, and the two red wires from the single 5mm LEDs). Then I took all the grounds (all 4) and using those loop-type connections (I have no idea what they're called) at the end, I put them over one of the bolts by the e-brake... here is a pic to give you an idea of what that area looks like.

After organizing the wiring a bit, I put the center console back on and at this point pushed the LED through the back of the cup holder. Make sure as much wiring is hidden as possible. It's pretty easy to run the wiring for the footwell lights through the center (under the radio area) with those side panels removed. I had those wires meet and run to the right of the shifter under the center console.

Here are a few pics of the finished product.

Note: I also have the blue LED map lights. These footwell and console lights come on with the unlock button of the remote (and stay on for about 15 seconds or so). They also come on when the headlights are turned on, and dim with the dimmer switch that controls the dash lights. Obviously with the on/off switch, they can be disabled completely, but I find I have mine on all the time. Hope this helps some people, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

I also recently added LEDs in the map pockets of the doors like the 2010s have... I'll post how I did this another time.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

I tried tapping into that wire......not enough power in my car for some reason....they would light up so dim that you could not tell they were on unless it was pitch black.

I just ran mine to the battery
and used LED flexstrips from autozone...lol but they work nice and aren't ttoo bright, i'm contemplating putting in a dimmer switch and running two more led's to the rear and in the map pockets in the door...maybe
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM
PONYGRL

Looks really good for a DIY. I would love to get them in my GT. I already have mycolor so I can change my gauges but I want ambient lighting too