Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Bad Problem with Street Scene Gen 1 Bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 07:15 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I don't have a lot of faith on that bumper frankly and I sure don't have all the answers.
If it was me, I'd try to sell it locally on Craig list etc... and get another style from another company.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 AM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I was afraid you were going to say that. Well, I'm going to give them one more go at it and then I guess I'll order a California Special from LMR. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep everybody posted with the progress.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

I spoke to Street Scene again today. Got a different guy. He said baking it was an option but not to get the booth over 400 deg. Never seen a booth get that hot anyway, but whatever. He asked me about the "second" instructions. He said they don't send the "second" instructions with the product so he emailed them to me. They were exactly like the ones that come with the bumper. Basically, scrub with hot water and ajax or comet and a pad. Prime and paint, do not use lacquer primer. Most body shops use acrilic primer anyway don't they? No magic unveiled with the "second" instructions, either.
The body shop is going to strip and bake and prep, bake, prep, bake prep, etc. to try to get the mold releasers out, then try to paint again.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by DanielKSpencer
I was afraid you were going to say that. Well, I'm going to give them one more go at it and then I guess I'll order a California Special from LMR. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep everybody posted with the progress.
Hold on now... not everything I say is written in stones.
I'm no better than the next guy so I will be wrong at times, lol imagine that!
Based on my own experience and seeing other local folks having issues with this bumper as well, dictated what I told you.
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has 0 issues with this bumper...

I think you're right, try one more shot at it and then, unload it if problems come back.

Good luck.

Oh, and don't waste your time with Street Scene.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by azrael_nite
Man... sorry to hear the bad news. I have the same bumper and have had zero problems with paint. My car is pretty low and I scrape a little front and rear going up our drive way everyday. No problems so far.

I do know that with most poly urethane parts there needs to be a good amount of flex agent. My paint guy also used a nice thick clear coat that also has flex additives in it.

You also might want to check that the temperature isn't too cold. Heard that the warmer the better.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
glad to hear the bumper worked out for you azrael
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
DanielKSpencer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Hold on now... not everything I say is written in stones.
I'm no better than the next guy so I will be wrong at times, lol imagine that!
Based on my own experience and seeing other local folks having issues with this bumper as well, dictated what I told you.
I'm sure someone, somewhere, has 0 issues with this bumper...

I think you're right, try one more shot at it and then, unload it if problems come back.

Good luck.

Oh, and don't waste your time with Street Scene.
Thanks. I just know you seem to know more about aftermarket mods than the people working on it. They do mostly back to stock work since they are at a dealership. I value your opinion and you seem to have a good reputation. And especially since you had said you have worked with the same bumper in the past I wanted your take on it.

They are feeling hopeful that if they bake it a few times and prep it after each bake they will make it work. I actually insisted that they use the elastomeric primer as SS suggests. They kept trying to tell me that what they used was good on everything else so it should be good on it. But I told them that obviously there is a reason they suggest it so use it.
Course SS calls it "elastometric" but I guess that's a typo cause elastomeric is all I can find info on.
I heard from a guy on another site that said he had trouble too but was able to do the bake and prep a couple of times and his has been good for almost 5 years with no chips.

Funny thing is, seems everyone has to do the bake and prep but SS doesn't even mention it. No way their simple 3 step instructions could work out

Last edited by DanielKSpencer; 11-11-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Prep instructions

Link will expire in 30 days
http://www.getracinginfo.com/Personal/Photos/Prep.jpg