Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT500 Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
How far back did you mount it?

How did you decide where to mount it it?
19.5" from the front tip of the hood to the front tip of the extractor flange. I wanted to maximize the heat extraction function. Low pressure area is forward on the hood, with the base of the windshield being a high pressure area. It's basically as far forward as it can go while still being behind the radiator and fan housing.

Originally Posted by Tylus
thanks for the link. I've been contemplating hood vents since I bought my car...but I was hoping more for 1 on each side...but Shelby won't sell them, and refuses to give me a part #
Another route I considered after getting this in hand was ordering a second one, then cutting out both center sections and mounting them Shelby/Cobra style as two separate vents. Something to consider...
Old 12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
19.5" from the front tip of the hood to the front tip of the extractor flange. I wanted to maximize the heat extraction function. Low pressure area is forward on the hood, with the base of the windshield being a high pressure area. It's basically as far forward as it can go while still being behind the radiator and fan housing.

Another route I considered after getting this in hand was ordering a second one, then cutting out both center sections and mounting them Shelby/Cobra style as two separate vents. Something to consider...
The idea of getting two and mounting the center sections is also interesting.

I'm actually more worried about high underhood temps with the SC just running around town in the summer in stop and go traffic. The track benefits would be a bonus

As my car is white do you think it would be possible to paint the scoop?

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 12-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
maybe...not too sure how that would flow with the body lines though. the lines along the cut would be pretty sharp compared to the softer rounded edges of the hood

I did see a few months back where a Fox body guy adapted that scoop. wish I was 1/2 as skilled as him.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Awesome job. Looks great and functional too. Those don't often go hand in hand. It's got me thinking about taking power tools to my hood again.

I thought I was done with that business after installing the hood pins; which really just cured the symptom (floating hood) instead of the cause (high under-hood pressures).

Out of curiosity, why not just modify the hood to the point that it would accept the way the piece was intended to be installed? If I read correctly, that's with some sort of keeper flange in the front, and a bolt/adhesive tape in the rear. Would it have required too much modification to the various supports/molded shapes under the hood?

Which brings up another question I had...did this weaken the hood in any significant way? It looks like you had to cut right through some fairly substantial supports.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Default Street tire choices for autocross

Whoops, was supposed to be a new thread! :-}

Last edited by zero2sixd; 12-28-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Nice work!! I've had a seibon ss hood since the car was new and it does make quite a difference in underhood heat exhaust. You can see the heat rising up out of it. I noticed it running cooler and the engine bay (oddly enough) stays cleaner, I assume because of airflow blowing the dirt/dust out of the bay area. It stays really clean under there with no deposits on the covers/valley area...another plus.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

That is awesome. I may consider going this route if I can't get the hood I want.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
As my car is white do you think it would be possible to paint the scoop?
I don't see why not if properly prepped. It looks and feels like the same type of plastic as our rear view mirrors, which plenty of people have painted.

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
Out of curiosity, why not just modify the hood to the point that it would accept the way the piece was intended to be installed? If I read correctly, that's with some sort of keeper flange in the front, and a bolt/adhesive tape in the rear. Would it have required too much modification to the various supports/molded shapes under the hood?

Which brings up another question I had...did this weaken the hood in any significant way? It looks like you had to cut right through some fairly substantial supports.
I think that modifying the hood to accept it like the GT500's would take a huge amount of time and effort. I don't TIG weld and MIGing aluminum that thin is tough to do with good results. Fiberglassing is an option, but again, it would be a major undertaking. At that point, I would just buy an aftermarket hood.

Is the hood weaker than stock now? Possibly, but not in a noticeable way. The vent insert is actually a pretty stout piece--as stout as the section it replaces. Since it was mounted using urethane adhesive (very strong), it's almost as if the stock hood section wasn't removed. I'll update if it flies apart, though.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I've been contemplating some way to vent the hood for some time. I hate the way it "balloons" at speeds over 100 mph. This mod just may do the trick. Thanks for sharing this mod!

I guess I should spend more time lurking at cc.com...
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Do you think that this vent would fit an '08 hood? I really like it and I have a white car and think a carbon fiber vent would look very nice.

[edit:]

I just noticed - this is on 2006.

Last edited by HeadonaStick; 01-19-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: GT500 Hood Vent