Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT500 Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM
cardude99
1st Gear Member

sick mod, i may have to consider this, i bet it would look even better if painted to match
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

As I understand it, the largest difference your going to see with cooling a Supercharged car is with a larger heat exchanger. Erik
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Is there any issue with water? I can't tell by looking at the pics...otherwise looks sweet
Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
Is there any issue with water? I can't tell by looking at the pics...otherwise looks sweet
None so far. In So.Cal. we don't get much rain year round, but this week we've been getting hammered with some *very* heavy rain. No problem, as expected. Everything electrical under the hood is pretty weatherproof. On top of that, when you are moving there is enough airflow out of the vent to keep most of the rain out. When still, it just drips onto the intake elbow or onto the ground.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Import_Slaya
None so far. In So.Cal. we don't get much rain year round, but this week we've been getting hammered with some *very* heavy rain. No problem, as expected. Everything electrical under the hood is pretty weatherproof. On top of that, when you are moving there is enough airflow out of the vent to keep most of the rain out. When still, it just drips onto the intake elbow or onto the ground.
Thanks Import_Slaya. That makes sense because it's on the '10 GT500. If there was some issue, they wouldn't use it. Did you just cut out the hood liner where the vent is? Have you had any delamination around the edges with the 3M adhesive since you posted this? Is the part the same contour of our hood?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wasvette
Did you just cut out the hood liner where the vent is? Have you had any delamination around the edges with the 3M adhesive since you posted this? Is the part the same contour of our hood?
I had torn the hood liner out a while ago, so that wasn't a problem When I first installed it, I used a *very* thin (maybe a 1/4") bead of the urethane adhesive to avoid having it ooze out around the flange (cleaning it up is a royal PITA). One section about 3 inches long in the back was starting to pop loose--could only notice it when I pushed on the hood to test how it was holding up.

All I did was reapply a little more by shooting it under the flange and then wiping off the excess and it has been holding like a champ since. If I were to install it again, I would put painters tape all around the perimeter on the hood and also on the vent flange, and then use a much wider bead. Anything that oozes I would wipe off the best I could, then just remove the painters tape.

The profile isn't dead on perfect, but I'd say it is about 95% there. Let's put it this way, if you are into car shows and stuff like that, save up for the bling-o-riffic carbon hood. If you are into function over form, you will be pleasantly surprised at how this turns out--not only does it work well, it also looks damn good. I have zero regrets, but went into it with the attitude that if it doesn't work, I'd be buying a bling-o-riffic carbon hood.

Before you install it, you do have to take a little retention lip off the entire front edge using a dremel. I also took a belt sander to the back of the vents to grind off about 1/8" of an inch open them all up (from the factory, the bottom row of diamonds aren't vents). You'll see if you get one--very easy to figure out how it goes on. Also, I took the Dremel to the single thin mounting bolt. DONT DO THIS. It heats up enough to melt the plastic a little. Use a bolt cutter (it's only a 3mm bolt I think), a hack saw, or a Dremel WITH A COLD RAG or something.

It took about 30 minutes to prep the vent (my belt sander sucks). Once you have the hood laid out, it is shocking how fast of an install it it. A jigsaw cuts through the aluminum hood like butter, so in less than 5 minutes you are ready to glue it in.

Last edited by Import_Slaya; 01-21-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

where did you get the scoop?

I can only get the AR3Z-16C630-AB scoop locally for about $300

the AR3Z-16C630-AA scoop which you have is not available...or the idiot parts guy cannot find it.

got an online place to purchase it?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM
CKurello
3rd Gear Member

SO i've always been curious, what is that red ring for on front bumpers?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CKurello
SO i've always been curious, what is that red ring for on front bumpers?
towhook
Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonnier
towhook
x2

used at the Dragstrip and race tracks. at a dragstrip you use it to prevent heat soaking the motor prior to making a pass.

a big help for cars that aren't really "streatable" due to their cams & tuning.

Quick Reply: GT500 Hood Vent