Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hood Scoop installation OOOPS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:42 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood Scoop installation OOOPS!

My wife bought me a hood scoop for Christmas. I had it installed yesterday and it actually really looks great from a distance. But, when you get up close you can see a little of the white tape sticking out from the front. I am thinking that I can just cover it with a little touch up paint and it will not be noticeable. Any other ideas, such as removal of that little bit of tape sticking out? Is that possible?

I am attaching a photo.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Hood Scoop installation OOOPS!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

unbolt it, and remove the tape, and add new tape a little further away.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

+1....I wouldn't put paint on your hood like that. The touch up paint will look different and mess up your clear coat. R&R, Remove and reinstall.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
67stangr
2nd Gear Member

remove and replace the tape or use a straight razer and cut it off
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of your responses. What is the best way to get the tape and residue off without damaging cc?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67stangr
remove and replace the tape or use a straight razer and cut it off

perfect solution, just the other way around for me
Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mpatilla
Thanks for all of your responses. What is the best way to get the tape and residue off without damaging cc?
Spray some WD40 aor Goof-Off around the area with the tape, let it soak in for a while. You can use some fishing line between the scoop and the top of the tape to separate the two. Unbolt the hood scoop and gently begin to remove the scoop. Once the scoop is removed, use the Goof-Off to remove the residue.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mpatilla
My wife bought me a hood scoop for Christmas. I had it installed yesterday and it actually really looks great from a distance. But, when you get up close you can see a little of the white tape sticking out from the front. I am thinking that I can just cover it with a little touch up paint and it will not be noticeable. Any other ideas, such as removal of that little bit of tape sticking out? Is that possible?

I am attaching a photo.

Thanks!
Hey there mpatilla, You say...." had it installed.. " Does this mean that you paid someone to install the Hood Scoop for you..?? If so, take it back man and ask them to do it right...!! Little tape or not, it's noticeable and it's totally unacceptable IMO..!! And for what it's worth, I believe that the good 3-M two sided tape comes in dark gray.

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 12-30-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definately take it back to whomever installed it and insist they do it right. It really burns my britches when I pay someone good money, only to have them do as lousey a job as I could have done for free.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Totally agree with Nuke, but I will add that you should be ready for an argument if you do go back. My experience with companies that will give you a car like that is that they will not accept the blame for it. They will most likely blame it on the heat or vibration causing the tape to ooze out or slip out. If they are descent they will redo it free of charge. If they are grifters they will charge you a fee for doing it. Just be prepared to argue for it. I always go in prepared so you don't get caught by surprise.

Quick Reply: Hood Scoop installation OOOPS!