MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section-122/)
-   -   I have the 2005 mustang gt and want some cleaner light than those yellow. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/579839-i-have-the-2005-mustang-gt-and-want-some-cleaner-light-than-those-yellow.html)

Daniel60 01-02-2010 08:45 PM

I have the 2005 mustang gt and want some cleaner light than those yellow.

I have the old mustang now that didn't come stock with those pretty lights now featured in the newer stangs but is there a bulb that I might use that could look somewhat clean instead of the drab yellow lights?

Nuke 01-02-2010 10:33 PM

There is an endless choice of bulb temperatures available, regardless if you want to go with HID's or to stick with halogen. Depending on whether you experience some pretty nasty nightime driving conditions (fog, rain, heavy snow in the dark), you may want to make the fogs more yellow, from the stock ~3500K bulbs to a 2500K lamp like the Hella Optilux Extreme XY's that I run for my fogs.

The higher in temperature you go, the less useable light you get from a bulb. I, personally, begin to notice a loss in visibility with as low as 5000K lamps and have since switched my vehicle's headlights to 4100K lamps (Sylvania Silverstar Ultras) and 4000K (Sylvania Silverstars), depending on which bulb design the car takes.

But some of the young pups here like to run the lights that are in the blue, purple and green range (6000K and up); you know, the ones that you want to take a baseball bat to when they blind and annoy the hell out of you (not that I'd do that 2 or 3 times in my lifetime).

But it's all a matter of what look you're going for vs. practicality.

alkemist 01-02-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 6726753)
There is an endless choice of bulb temperatures available, regardless if you want to go with HID's or to stick with halogen. Depending on whether you experience some pretty nasty nightime driving conditions (fog, rain, heavy snow in the dark), you may want to make the fogs more yellow, from the stock ~3500K bulbs to a 2500K lamp like the Hella Optilux Extreme XY's that I run for my fogs.

The higher in temperature you go, the less useable light you get from a bulb. I, personally, begin to notice a loss in visibility with as low as 5000K lamps and have since switched my vehicle's headlights to 4100K lamps (Sylvania Silverstar Ultras) and 4000K (Sylvania Silverstars), depending on which bulb design the car takes.

But some of the young pups here like to run the lights that are in the blue, purple and green range (6000K and up); you know, the ones that you want to take a baseball bat to when they blind and annoy the hell out of you (not that I'd do that 2 or 3 times in my lifetime).

But it's all a matter of what look you're going for vs. practicality.

That's some good info there. I was thinking of switching to the Sylvania Silverstar/Ultras. Where do you get the Hella Optilux Extreme XY's? Don't think I've seen them locally in my area.

Nuke 01-02-2010 11:20 PM

Lately I've been getting most of my bulbs on ebay. I believe the Hella Optilux XY's were in the ballpark of $24. A bit pricey IMO but well worth it. Although the Stang doesn't see much bad weather I wouldn't be without them. I run them in the fogs of the other cars in the "pack", especially in my SUV which is my DD. They've really came in handy on those before sun up foggy trips to the lake/river hauling the boat.

6+6 Stang 02-16-2010 02:01 PM

I had a incident with my HID's from Stangmods, maybe my fault, hell I'm not sure, but an unlocked the center part, it has 2 parts, part that locks into the housing and the bulb locking onto that...Crap did not notice early on, but came loose, angled up and now $400 later I need new housing burned it up. Stangmods sending me a replacement for free, they said they would, so being a little gun shy went back to stock in parking lot at lunch, install and remove takes half hour each way, but if anyone wants to PM me and interested in HID Heads, I'm keeping the fogs PM me.

DRock 02-16-2010 02:11 PM

5K HIDS from HIDGUY.NET

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...S/IMG_0465.jpg

Boondoggie 02-16-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by alkemist (Post 6726832)
That's some good info there. I was thinking of switching to the Sylvania Silverstar/Ultras. Where do you get the Hella Optilux Extreme XY's? Don't think I've seen them locally in my area.

I got mine from Summit. I like them a lot, but then I've always hated white "fog" lights.

alkemist 02-16-2010 03:24 PM

Nvm, didn't realize this was an old thread I responded to already :p