Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

How to: upgrade your interior with a new shift boot, brake boot and armrest cover!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

Default How to: upgrade your interior with a new shift boot, brake boot and armrest cover!

Hi everyone,

we were asked by the Admin to put together a write-up documenting the process of upgrading the boots and armrest on the Mustang.

First of all - why do it? Here's why, a sample pic from another car:

And, more specifically, on our cars:

So, now that the "why bother" is out of the way, let's get to the "how-to".
1. The shift boot is secured with sturdy plastic latching clips built into the bottom of the boot frame ring. Press either of the long sides with your finger tips and the boot will unlatch and lift up. The top of the boot sits snugly in a groove at the bottom of the shift ****. With firm pressure these will separate.

Carefully remove old boot from the plastic boot frame. Noting how old boot was attached .Remove any remaining glue from the frame with fine sandpaper.

2. Position the new boot lining up holes in the leather boot with trim ring holes. Use tape to hold the boot temporarily.

3. (Do not glue at this time.) Place new leather boot over frame. Line up all slots in the leather boot with the plastic clips on bottom of boot frame. Boot should be well fitted around the frame - adjust as needed.

4. Gluing. Now that you know the position that you will mount the boot to boot frame. Remove the boot and set it a side-ready to put back on in the same installation position. Put small amount of glue around the top of the plastic boot frame. and attach boot. Alternatively you can start your installation on one side and work your way around the frame gluing as you go.

I would sugest a slow drying glue. One that is not too tacky will give you plenty of working time. Automotive GOOP is a brand we have used successfully and it's easily available.

5. The stock shift **** has a lip around the bottom that top of the boot sits in. A rubber ring can be removed from your old boot this purpose and used to wedge the top of the boot above the lip with the rubber ring. Alternatively, you can use a zip-tie to secure the top - which will keep your stock boot intact.

Either way turn the boot inside-out, slide it thin-end first on the shift ****, use the zip-tie to secure the top of the boot to the shift lever. Reinstall bottom of boot and the shift ****.

4. To install the ebrake boot, you must have the shift boot and shift **** removed. You will also remove the center console completely: Recline seat backs - put arm-rest in the up position. The top of the console is secured by 2 screws in the rear (remove these) -and 4 spring clips.

5. Carefully raise the rear of the console top (pulling up frees the spring clips) and swivel it out over the e-brake ever. It's a snug fit so remember the motions you used to remove it. Place console top upside down on a bath towel to avoid scratching.

6. Use pliers to squeeze all of the plastic fasteners that secure the metal and rubber e-brake runner. You should be able to squeeze these without breaking them. When you have done this use a screwdriver to separate runner from the console. It is important not to twist the metal runner when dislodging it from the console, because you want it to retain its' shape.

7. Make sure all of the plastic fastener points are straight. Take extra notice of the round ones ( 2 on each side 3 in the middle.)

8. Begin leather boot installation by lining up all slots. The idea is to put the boot in place (where the runner was) and then the metal runner will go back in place on top of the leather. With the leather boot in place, reposition the metal and rubber e-brake runner lining up the slots as close as possible. Following secure each of the 7 numbered positions with a 1/2" screw and a washer if needed. If every thing is positioned correctly this should be easy. Just make it snug - don't over-ighten (a wood or sheet metal screw works fine).

9. Replace the console by placing the leather boot over the e-brake lever then reverse the console removal steps. Adjust e-brake boot as desired and close velcro at top of the boot.

10. Installing the armrest cover is a no-brainer. It's easier if you remove the armrest (4 screws visible on the underside after opening the lid), but it can be done without taking the lid off. Just put the cover on and around it so that the elastic in the bottom holds it in place.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:09 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

And now what we know why bother, how to do this, you probably want to know how much?

Please take the time to visit our sponsor ad!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...ng-05-a-4.html

What you'll find there are:

- pricing information (please do not ask about pricing in this thread)
- color and special finishing options (LOTS OF PICTURES)

Take care
Maciek

Last edited by RedlineGoods.com; 01-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

PS. As many of you know (thank you for purchasing our products by the way), we've had a Christmas special running in December:

Due to the absence of our webmaster, THIS SPECIAL IS STILL IN EFFECT until he comes back from vacation to take it off the site.

Take care
Maciek
Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

Hello everyone,

new year, new prices, new ideas! First of all, we're dropping the price of individual items by $5, from $49, to $44! And, there's a discount code to top it off!

Carbon-fiber vinyl AND stripes this time. I LOVE black and yellow!

Today's 10% discount code: 70M0Q8XF45R - Valid through Friday, January 15th!

Have a great weekend, guys
Maciek
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Very nice
Old 02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

Hi guys,

thos of you that either have, had or just drove an Acura TL might see that there's something iffy about this armrest cover:

Yes, there is. It has been padded - and the owner has some good things to say about this idea!

The armrest cover for the Acura TL turned out substantially better than I could have imagined. Mine is the medium gray color with charcoal accent stripes and matching stitching. I got mine with the 6/8" padding, which is more than ample. The comfort of this vs. the stock padding is amazing. The leather is top quality as well. The color very nicely complements the interior of my car (Quartz color from Acura). I would highly recommend getting one of these covers as a fantastic upgrade of the interior of this car. I had mine installed on the factory plastic pan of the armrest by a professional car upholsterer for $40 - it is worth every penny. RedlineGoods.com is a great company with great products. Maciek made the whole process very easy and is more than willing to answer any questions. I have done my shifter boot and emergency brake boot on my MR-2 as well and have been very pleased with those products as well.

Bob Frank of Westhampton, NJ

We offer padding as an option for majority of our armrests - just specify the height of padding on the order form. If you'd like it for your car, but our website won't let you order it, please email or PM me and we'll work with you to design a padded armrest for your car (and elbow!)

Meanwhile, here's the new 10% discount code: D7T016NJ5E7 - valid through Friday, February 19th!

Have a great weekend!
Maciek
Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 AM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

Everyone,

an interesting combo for almost (but not perfectly black) interiors - our CHARCOAL leather with MEDIUM BLUE and BLACK quadruple thread:

Here's the new discount code: Y7B0241HO5B - Valid through Friday, March 5th!

Take care
Maciek
Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

The shift boot and armrest cover look really nice. But I cant look at the ebrake handle without being reminded of my daughter wearing my wifes clothes.

I have no doubt the quality is top notch, but the fitment on that piece is just bad (at least it looks that way in the pics).
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 PM
RedlineGoods.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
The shift boot and armrest cover look really nice. But I cant look at the ebrake handle without being reminded of my daughter wearing my wifes clothes.
Actually, these are one of the first pictures of those pieces, dating about 4 years ago. We have since revised the design of the collar to make it fit more snug and it looks significantly better... although the design of the ebrake handle (the s-bend in it) makes it hard to make the ebrake boot look perfect.

Maciek
Old 02-26-2010, 04:07 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedlineGoods.com
Actually, these are one of the first pictures of those pieces, dating about 4 years ago. We have since revised the design of the collar to make it fit more snug and it looks significantly better... although the design of the ebrake handle (the s-bend in it) makes it hard to make the ebrake boot look perfect.

Maciek
You got pic of the new fitment? If that piece is improved then this would be a nice upgrade.

Quick Reply: How to: upgrade your interior with a new shift boot, brake boot and armrest cover!