Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Magnetic Blackout panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
I love online shopping
Though I need to know IT IS what I want lol. The return shipping hassle is the very annoying part. I also pick the packages from the back at the store.. I don't need people man handling my goods lol.
But, I'm sure you wouldn't mind having the right man handling your goods.

I'm terrible, I know,........ but that was just toooo easy.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Chronos beat me to it...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
But, I'm sure you wouldn't mind having the right man handling your goods.
Originally Posted by Nuke
Chronos beat me to it...
hahaha
Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I wouldn't worry about that. Tire Rack does an unbelievable job packaging tire/wheel sets.
Yep, I ordered 4 rims from them for my daughter's Focus. No problems at all.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

The only thing about Magnetic panels or signs on a car with Metallic Flakes could alter the paint......at least that is what I was told.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:19 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
This is why to this day I still prefer NOT to buy things online. I will pay a little more and go see and touch whatever I am buying. Even when I go to a store I never get the first package on the rack. I always dig back to the ones in the back so they haven't been knocked down or played around with by everyone that comes by looking at that product. At least buying from a store I can go back and yell at someone. Online they can ignore you. Not saying that will happen to you, just not something I wish to deal with. I actually bought my first item online the other day. I had to buy a torsion spring for my garage door. Could not get one locally so I had no choice. Did it cause I saved myself $70 installing it myself instead of paying some rip off artist contractor. They always make the jobs bigger than they have to be.
As far as Mustang parts are concerned, we're all pretty much limited to purchasing on-line. Local shops are next to none.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
The only thing about Magnetic panels or signs on a car with Metallic Flakes could alter the paint......at least that is what I was told.
That just doesn't make sense. The flakes are set in place by the cured paint. How can they move? In addition, the magnetic field of the panel is pretty weak considering it's surface area.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
That just doesn't make sense. The flakes are set in place by the cured paint. How can they move? In addition, the magnetic field of the panel is pretty weak considering it's surface area.
Someone should send that to mythbusters

Someone else did mention that it may scratch the finish? It wasn't explained how or why. The magnetic panel is on there pretty tight. I never had it move on me before.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
...Someone else did mention that it may scratch the finish? It wasn't explained how or why. The magnetic panel is on there pretty tight. I never had it move on me before.
My take on that is that with any removal and reapplication you run the risk of scratching the paint if there are any abrasives on the paint and/or on the blackout panel. But it's not as if you're dragging it around much... Being conscious of both surfaces and not removing the blackout panel unless necessary is simply common sense. I don't remove the g/f's blackout panel to wash the car so it has only come off when waxing.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Magnet is not strong enough to do anything. We're not talking like an MRI.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Blackout panel