Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Attaching front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Wow, I would so go with a motorized one, not exactly sure where it will fit with a chin spoiler

AM has it for $129.99, I feel like jumping the gun on it but maybe I should wait to inspect my front end first. I just hope the body shop won't do anything stupid.. like mounting my front plate.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by alkemist
Wow, I would so go with a motorized one, not exactly sure where it will fit with a chin spoiler

AM has it for $129.99, I feel like jumping the gun on it but maybe I should wait to inspect my front end first. I just hope the body shop won't do anything stupid.. like mounting my front plate.
You better go to the shop and tell the manager (have a witness) not to drill holes in your bumper, if not, they will buy you a new one.
Tell the same thing to the guy that is working on your car.
Also, retrieve your license plate from there, just in case.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:05 PM
GreenBully

Originally Posted by chronos
Here in Cali. Gov. Arnold decided it's an easy way to make some easy money. Knowing how they are here in Ca, they will probably set it to catch you 5 miles over the speed limit. It's all about money. In case some of you might think it's no big deal, a simple speeding ticket here can run you $700, so it is a big very deal. For some people that's an entire weeks pay check.
It kinda really seams contradictory that Gov. Arnold wants to setup these automated speed traps with the way he drives, like in the terminator he was promoting driving like a complete lunatic, But NOW its not ok for us to do 5 miles over the limit. BS

What happens if you borrow your car or truck out to someone and they get caught speeding, then the city sends you the ticket? This is just one more step to turning America into a communist nation.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

They have traffic cameras here too. It will take a picture of your car's front and back license plate going through a red light and then send you a ticket in the mail. It's bad enough we have cops hiding on the other side of bridges or over passes to catch you speeding down the hill.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenBully
It kinda really seams contradictory that Gov. Arnold wants to setup these automated speed traps with the way he drives, like in the terminator he was promoting driving like a complete lunatic, But NOW its not ok for us to do 5 miles over the limit. BS

What happens if you borrow your car or truck out to someone and they get caught speeding, then the city sends you the ticket? This is just one more step to turning America into a communist nation.
One thing we Californians have all learned is what a complete liar and hypocrite Arnold really is. I liked him as an action hero, but now I can't stand the site of him. He was elected to fix the problems the Democrats (Gray Davis) created and instead he dug the hole deeper. What has become extremely evident is that the politicians no longer even pretend to care about what the constituents want or expect from them. In response to your question, only the owner, driver of the car can be cited. If someone else is driving your car you can easily get the ticket dismissed. You challenge it and say "That wasn't me" and it gets tossed out. That is the big loophole with camera enforcement. The ticket only applies if the owner of the car is the one driving when cited.

I bookmarked the hiding plate for the rear. If I am ever forced to put a plate on the front, that kit fortunately brings two plates or I'll get the kit from AM for the front.

I agree with Pascal, call the body shop today or send them an email NOT to drill your bumper. Once done, it cannot be undone.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Arnold=major disappointment.

As far as cameras in traffic lights, some States/Countys are getting sued and losing over this "It wasn't me at the wheel" issues.
In Orlando, there were gonna put these everywhere but they stopped at a handful after law suits were falling down on them, which is a good thing.
Keep a cop hidden on those intersections and nail the bastards that run them lights, because it doesn't matter who the car belongs to at that point.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
GreenBully

So I live in one of those states that requires a front plate to be displayed/mounted. I'm having the Roush front put in, and I really dread having to drill holes into it. Is there a secure alternative way to mount the plate? I could run the risk of not having it there but not sure if it will be worth the hassle if some nitpicky cop does pull me over for it. I was considering just tossing the plate in my car, but that seems like asking for trouble too.
I just bought the Roush front Fascia 4 weeks ago. I’m going to install it myself after spring gets here. I’m also going to design and fabricate a license plate bracket that slips into the large opening in the middle with no screws. I got it all worked out on paper and I’ll be able to just take the license plate in or out in less than a minute.
My car never has had the holes for the front drilled in, so I never use a front plate like I’m supposed to. But I keep it lying on the passenger floor. The 1st week I had my car I got pulled over, but I used the “my car was brand new” excuse and just got a warning. SHE was a friendly Cop.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
You better go to the shop and tell the manager (have a witness) not to drill holes in your bumper, if not, they will buy you a new one.
Tell the same thing to the guy that is working on your car.
Also, retrieve your license plate from there, just in case.
Thanks. I have tomorrow off and I will see if I can swing by the shop.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:06 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenBully
I just bought the Roush front Fascia 4 weeks ago. I’m going to install it myself after spring gets here. I’m also going to design and fabricate a license plate bracket that slips into the large opening in the middle with no screws. I got it all worked out on paper and I’ll be able to just take the license plate in or out in less than a minute.
My car never has had the holes for the front drilled in, so I never use a front plate like I’m supposed to. But I keep it lying on the passenger floor. The 1st week I had my car I got pulled over, but I used the “my car was brand new” excuse and just got a warning. SHE was a friendly Cop.
oooo, nice. I'm curious to see what it looks like when you are done.

It probably really depends on the cop you get. I have a friend that has not driven with a front plate for 2 years and had no problems yet.. though it's not a "high profile" car like the mustang. He got pulled over because of the tail light being out and they never said anything about the front plate.

lol, was doing a search about motorized plates and ran across this random, someone asked if it was legal and this was their reply:

"ie: hey i just installed a supercharger and now theres a cop behind me.. lets remove my license plate and floor it.

5min later, oh **** theres a helo above me.. wtf.

10min later, jail sucks.

24 hours later, american muscle removes them from the sight due to intense illegality."

vvv That's a euro plate, but same concept.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

oooo, nice. I'm curious to see what it looks like when you are done.

It probably really depends on the cop you get. I have a friend that has not driven with a front plate for 2 years and had no problems yet.. though it's not a "high profile" car like the mustang. He got pulled over because of the tail light being out and they never said anything about the front plate.

lol, was doing a search about motorized plates and ran across this random, someone asked if it was legal and this was their reply:

"ie: hey i just installed a supercharger and now theres a cop behind me.. lets remove my license plate and floor it.

5min later, oh **** theres a helo above me.. wtf.

10min later, jail sucks.

24 hours later, american muscle removes them from the sight due to intense illegality."

vvv That's a euro plate, but same concept.

Thats just awesome!!

Quick Reply: Attaching front license plate