Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

ONE OFF CUSTOMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
mustang queen
1st Gear Member

Default ONE OFF CUSTOMS

Is there a place in the forum where people post one off custom modifications?Most of what iI read is everyone buying catolog parts and installing them . I am building my own strut tower brace . A white third brake light with LED's that will blend in with the white car. Aluminum covers for the fuse box and a Battery hold down. I plan on doing my own hydraulic hood supports . Looking for the people that create their own modifications
Old 02-02-2010, 08:20 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Those sound like some kick-*** mods there.

Just about all of my mods are one-offs in some way. Even if it starts as a catalog piece, I end up modifying it to get exactly what I'm looking for. I dremeled open the slats on my quarter window louvers before painting, I used the stock grille as a base to fabricate a custom grille. I modified '68 parking lights to use as driving/fog lights. I modified a set of Torque Thrust center caps to use with my oem Bullitts, which I painted flat black...

I always try to at least put my personal stamp on each mod. I don't know anything about metal working or mold-making or anything like that, but I do try to put the work into making my car unique (which, I suppose is an odd thing to say since I'm modeling her after a car in a 42 year old movie).

Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I suppose you would post your stuff in the for sale section. Set up a website for yourself with nice pics of your product and and post it wherever they allow it here. If you need a good free website I use http://www.myownfreeweb.com for websites that I share with friends and family. Nothing better than free.

Maybe I misunderstood the post, but I thought you wanted to sell the stuff. Are you looking to sell the mods or just share? Either way my idea works except one would be for selling and the other just for sharing.

Last edited by chronos; 02-02-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

i love the driving lights, thats killer. man you do some cool stuff to trigger. good job bro
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos

How did you do that chrome trim? I like that, it looks like the trim on the 67/68s.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

They sell that stuff in rolls at the auto parts. It has an adhesive backing, is flexible and easy to install.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:32 AM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
How did you do that chrome trim? I like that, it looks like the trim on the 67/68s.
Thanks. I happen to have just posted that pic in another thread recently with an explination. Copy and paste is a beautiful thing:

1/8th inch adhesive fender chrome. If I remember correctly, I bought it at Advanced Auto. Was an idea I had for quite a while, but couldn't figure out a good way to do it, until a buddy of mine came across the adhesive stuff. It's like $15 a roll. Seems like the kinda thing that should look pretty ghetto, but personally I love the way it turned out. The goal was to emulate the Bullitt movie car.

That's why I'm also going to be going with the taillight bezels or painting.

The Saleen PJ proved to me that the look could work on an S197.

If you're considering trying it, lemme give you some tips. Definitely go with the 1/8th inch, rather than the quarter inch. The wider stuff doesn't take the compound curves as well, and cut the chrome to allow a gap at the seam where the bumper meets the fender, looks much more OEM that way.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

wow trigger your car looks more like the original bullitt, than the bullitt ford released in 2008
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
mustang queen
1st Gear Member

Great mods . Could you tel me a little more about the driving lights . I had the same idea and have been looking at everything going down the road to see who's driving lights I could use. Hope more people post things like you did.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang queen
Great mods . Could you tel me a little more about the driving lights . I had the same idea and have been looking at everything going down the road to see who's driving lights I could use. Hope more people post things like you did.
These are the lamps I used.

A few notes:
  • I already had a wiring harness run from a previous set of fogs which I wasn't happy with.
  • I traced the inside of the retainer and the bezel to make a paper template to choose placement on the bumper, and the bumper was cut with a Dremel.
  • I had to drill new holes into the bezels because the fixtures had to be rotated to a different angle than they would be on a '68 to align properly. I also used nuts as spacers behind the lamps to toe them out.

Now, I've gotta say, in all honesty, this isn't a mod I'd really recommend to many people. It's not the kinda thing that can easily be undone if you don't like the results, or screw up as you're doing it. In your case, mustang queen, it sounds like you already know way more about fabrication than I do, so I'm sure you wouldn't be going into this unprepared. I just wouldn't want anybody reading this post to just run outside and cut holes into their front fascia without knowing what they were getting into.

The lamps that come with these fixtures aren't bright enough to provide any real benefit as far as visibility is concerned. I'm trying some different things to get more illumination from them, but since this mod was meant to be purely cosmetic, it's not a big priority to me. I've also got to repaint the bezels, they're already chipped.

That being said, if anyone seriously wants to try this, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have. As with a lot of one off mods though, There wasn't really a guide for what I was doing. I was just kinda figuring it out as I went along, so there may have been a better way to do some of what I did.

Last edited by digitalcos; 02-03-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Quick Reply: ONE OFF CUSTOMS