Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Side skirt & bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default Side skirt & bumper

First I want to verify something. Are the V6 and GT500 flat black side skirts the same part? Are the GT500 and GT/CS rear bumper with the flat black section the same part?

Now, what are the part numbers for the above things?

What is involved in replacing the rear bumper?

I want to have the flat black lower parts to give the illusion that the car is slimmer and not so stretched and fat like you get with the V6/GT500/CS.

The only unfortunate thing for me about the GT500 bumper (and CS) is the diffuser things. I don't like the way those look, but I do like how the lower part is flat black. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
First I want to verify something. Are the V6 and GT500 flat black side skirts the same part? Are the GT500 and GT/CS rear bumper with the flat black section the same part?

Now, what are the part numbers for the above things?

What is involved in replacing the rear bumper?

I want to have the flat black lower parts to give the illusion that the car is slimmer and not so stretched and fat like you get with the V6/GT500/CS.

The only unfortunate thing for me about the GT500 bumper (and CS) is the diffuser things. I don't like the way those look, but I do like how the lower part is flat black. Oh well.
Check out my thread in the FAQ section to get the part number and answer to your rear bumper question. As far as the side skirts go I'm about 99.9 percent sure they are the same part but I bet they have different part numbers and they will want a lot more for the GT500 one
Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i actually checked at one point whether or not the side skirts are the same, and they are. but i would check about price differences (i can see the 'gt500' ones costing more because they are a 'gt500' part... even though they are the same).

iirc, the bumpers are technically different; on the cs, the lower sections (where it is painted) is smoothed out, where on the gt500 version they are slightly textured (and not painted) like the side skirts. i could be wrong though on that one, they might actually be the same.

***i did a little more checking and the bumpers (according to pascal) are apparently the same mold: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5547421-post33.html. since he says they are the same, i'll believe they are the same

Last edited by Xeno; 02-08-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
i actually checked at one point whether or not the side skirts are the same, and they are. but i would check about price differences (i can see the 'gt500' ones costing more because they are a 'gt500' part... even though they are the same).

iirc, the bumpers are technically different; on the cs, the lower sections (where it is painted) is smoothed out, where on the gt500 version they are slightly textured (and not painted) like the side skirts. i could be wrong though on that one, they might actually be the same.

***i did a little more checking and the bumpers (according to pascal) are apparently the same mold: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5547421-post33.html. since he says they are the same, i'll believe they are the same
LOL! Xeno, all you had to do is to go to the FAQ section of this forum and you would of seen this:

S197 FAQ PLEASE READ FIRST!!!
After having to explain this to allot of Mustang owners I figure it would be a good idea to put it here for those who are looking to do this mod. This is factual information gained from talking to a Ford parts dealer, others who have done this mod, looking at a GT500 rear bumper up close and my own real world experience. The myth is that the GT/CS and GT500 bumpers are two different bumpers when the fact is they are the very same bumper.

There are only two real differences, 1. How it’s painted. And 2. Cost. For some unknown reason Ford wants you to pay more for what they call their GT500 bumper but the funny part is that it costs more (paint wise) to have it like a GT/CS bumper. The GT500 stile takes less prep and less paint to do so why do they want so much more for it? The only answer I could come of with is that they want you to pay for the Shelby name.

Below is the direct quote from a Ford parts dealer who currently works at a Ford dealership as the part manager:

"Ok Here is the Lowdown on the Other Parts. Ford Really Has A Mess on there Hands With Service Replacement Parts and Genuine Ford Accessory Parts. Most Dealers are Unaware of the Accessory Parts so you Usually Get Quoted for the Service Replacement parts Vs the Accessory Parts. The Service Parts are More than the Accessory Parts And you get Less! The Service Parts are Just a Bare Cover Where the Accessory Kits Have Extra Goodies. If you Have a GT You Will be Good to Go With the Accessory Kits but if You Have A V6 you Will Need the Additional GT Pieces your V6 will need to get to GT Bumper Specs! I as A Rule do Not Often Post Parts Prices or Part Numbers Because they Change Regularly. In This Case I will Post FORDS Suggested Retail in Order to Give you the Best Deal when Purchasing these Parts Locally!

Ford Suggested Retail, Part Number, Description
$472.88 7r3z17d957aa GT/CS & SHELBY GT Service Bare FRONT Bumper.
$399.00 6R3Z-6320049-AA GT/CS & SHELBY GT Accessory Kit Front
Bumper.

$518.27 7r3z17k835aaptm GT/CS & Shelby GT Service Bare Rear Bumper.
$355.00 6R3Z-6320049-BA GT/CS & Shelby GT Accessory Rear Bumper

$ 596.00 7r3z17k835baptm GT-500 Rear Service Bumper.

No Quote Kit for true 500 Rear Bumper. The Only Difference between the CS and 500 Bumper is a Lot of Money and the Rear Diffuser. On A CS or Shelby Gt the Lower Center Diffuser As Viewed From Directly Behind the Center lower Section Only is Matte Black on a GT-500 The Lower Section is Black all the way around to Match the Matte Black rocker Panels. Other than That the Rear Covers are Identical! Do the Math and Make your Choice! I hope this Clears up the Bumper

I have the 6R3Z-6320049-BA GT/CS & Shelby GT Accessory Rear Bumper on my car and I ordered it threw a local body shop who got it for a little below the quoted Fords suggested retail price. I can tell you for a fact that the texture on the lower half is the very same as the GT500 which I verified by comparing directly to a GT500 bumper.

Now lets talk about that texture for a min because allot of people also asked me, “is there any special prep work that has to be done or, does that texture need to be removed prior to painting?” The answer is no to both. After the normal prep work is done and the paint is applied you can’t even tell it’s textured any more and it blends right in with the rest of your paint. Here are two pictures of mine bumper to show you what it looks like with the textured area on the lower sides painted. I hope this answers your questions and clears up the mystery surrounding this mod.

By me CutterWolf
Old 02-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

lol, i don't think i've ever gone into the faq thread; oh well, now i know
Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Xeno
lol, i don't think i've ever gone into the faq thread; oh well, now i know
Damn n00b!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I like the way it's painted on the GT500. It does what I want better and that is to give a slimmer appearance.

Ninosport sells the GT500 bumper for 675. Yikes!

Now I just need to find the black side skirts as seen on the GT500/V6. I like the carbon fiber side skirts on the GT500 SS but those can't be had.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by pascal
Damn n00b!
i know... i fail

but on the bright side, sirknight, i bet you can easily find someone with a v6 who would want to trade side skirts; you can save money there and put it toward the bumper
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I like the way it's painted on the GT500. It does what I want better and that is to give a slimmer appearance.

Ninosport sells the GT500 bumper for 675. Yikes!

Now I just need to find the black side skirts as seen on the GT500/V6. I like the carbon fiber side skirts on the GT500 SS but those can't be had.
Shelbystore.com has them. Not sure if they're a restricted item like the Terlingua hood though.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I resurrect thee!

Just FYI for future reference, the part number for the V6/GT500 side skirts (rocker panel molding) is 10176 and can be found on fordparts.com. The retail price is $122.82 but when I select my dealer they come to $110.54. This is each.