Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

2 questions, installing scoop+paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Default 2 questions, installing scoop+paint

1. I have a BSM super stripe on my hood (see sig) and just got a stack racing hood scoop in the mail. Is is okay to just install the scoop on top of the vinyl? the stripe has been on for 1 year and 2 months if that makes a difference.

2. I need to paint the scoop to match the matte black stripe. I picked up some sandpaper, primer, and semi-gloss black. I know by now everyone is thinking, " rattle can job come out like $h17." I'm no novice to painting with rattle cans on account that i build model cars. Im just wondering about how it will hold up? if it doesn't work, then ill strip the paint off and do hot rod flat black. Does anyone have experience with rattle can blacks?

-thanks everyone for the help!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

wouldnt u want to paint if flat black as well to match your stripes?....if its gloss, it will be the only thing gloss black on your car and look sore-thumbish....

yes its okay to install them over the matte stripe....no exp with rattle cans though :-)
Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I agree flat may be a better choice than satin finish. Satin (depending on manufacturer) can be a bit more glossy than flat, and may not match the stripes. On the durability of the rattle can paint, it's OK. I have done outside trim parts on older cars with Rustoleum rattle cans and it has lasted years with no problems. Of you do good prep work like you say you know how to do, them you'll be just fine. Just don't use the 99 cent paint cans. Those are for cheap stuff.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Is there a product out there that protects flat blacks from the sun? Preferably nothing that makes it shiny.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

For paint it would be a flat clear. That also comes in a rattle can.They carry them at Home Depot and Lowe's.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 AM
JimC

As far as putting the scoop over the stripe - as I have - unless you trim the stripe around the scoop you will probably get some pulls at the edges. The hood and scoop flex at different rates and my superstripe ended up with pulls/ridges at the edges of the scoop. That is why BSM now offers stripes precut for the scoop.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

^^^^^^^^ For sure.
There isn't a way around that, it will pull at the edges if not trimmed.

And using rattle can paint on your hood will last about a couple of months before it start to look like schit.
Just sayin'.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

C'mon Pascal, it's not that bad. I know you are in the body business and have a different perspective on things but a good quality rattle can paint will last more than just a few months. If he uses a clear it will last even longer. Ideally it would be better to have a body shop do it, but if a person doesn't want to or doesn't have the funds, a rattle can will do. Like I have said before, on my old Honda Accord for some reason the windshield wiper paint was crap. After a couple of years it started fading and chipping. I wasn't going to pay a body shop to paint my windshield wipers, so I painted them with a rattle can. Looked good for many years. Over time they started to fade and I had to retouch them, but then again I didn't use a clear on them either. The clear would probably have made it more durable.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
stevb15

]When I installed mine I set the hood scoop in place and used painters tape to outline it. Then I took a razor bade and cut just about 1/4 inch inside the painters tape and pulled the stripe off in that section. It's been about 6 months and so far no pulls in the superstripe.

Last edited by stevb15; 02-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by chronos
C'mon Pascal, it's not that bad. I know you are in the body business and have a different perspective on things but a good quality rattle can paint will last more than just a few months. If he uses a clear it will last even longer. Ideally it would be better to have a body shop do it, but if a person doesn't want to or doesn't have the funds, a rattle can will do. Like I have said before, on my old Honda Accord for some reason the windshield wiper paint was crap. After a couple of years it started fading and chipping. I wasn't going to pay a body shop to paint my windshield wipers, so I painted them with a rattle can. Looked good for many years. Over time they started to fade and I had to retouch them, but then again I didn't use a clear on them either. The clear would probably have made it more durable.
The clear won't make much more durable because there isn't any hardener in it, so the point is moot.
I can see a garage kept car with minimal sun exposition, last a good while.
But something that's gonna be in the sun all day will get old quickly.
As far as wipers, it's such a small part that it takes a while for you to notice imperfections like you would on a big painted surface...

Quick Reply: 2 questions, installing scoop+paint