Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Leather wrapped radio pillars. What do you think ?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, I will say that you did do a good job on wrapping it! Although, the color match up looks out of place like others have said.

I have a black on black combo, and I have been thinking of doing something like this. (Most like paying someone to do it! lol.) Anyway, I wanted to keep a black interior but give a make over to all the plastic pieces. Concerned about the extra weight but I don't think it would be much of a concern at all. Also, we all know how squeaky our cars are, is the leather rubbing against something going to make it squeak?

So I was thinking maybe some exposed stitching at the corners just to give it another little touch. Since you are already working the two-tone thing with your leather... maybe you can combine the two ideas. Have the front of the pillar in red, and the side in black to blend in with your dash... and you can get your white stitching inbetween. Just a thought.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Hey Menace. the leather should deal away with some of the squeaking issues. Usually if plastic onplastic rubs, or plastic on metal, you will heat the squeak. The leather should take care of that. But no, in my case it doesnt rub, plus the two pillars are not moving around to do that anyways. The black leather will be going on around the dash maybe the bottom of the center console etc. I'm trying to get as close as I can to what Candiman did as far as the plastic trim is concerned. I know the color match is not on point as far as the leather and paint is concerned. I'll have to worry about that when I get to repaint the console lol ( which it's due. it's all scratched up )

I still have the original pillars just in case I don't like the look of this.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Ah, I don't know what Candiman did. Is there a post you can show us?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Both threads ar eawsome to look at. I've been following his site for a while but to no avail. it's been over a year since he made any progress so I gave up on buying from him .That's why I took on this project my self. I am buyking about 100 sq/ feet of black leather soon, I already have about 40 sq./ feet of red leather, a sewing machine and will prolly take a week off from work to get this done. anywho, here's what motivated me to do this

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...t-pics-19.html

and this thread is the finished product..

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...es-inside.html
Old 02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Hey, thanks for the update. Yes, this is the place I have been following as well but their site hasn't updated the mustang portion. I did shoot them an e-mail the other day. You know, I was only interested in doing a seat redo, console area.... but those pillars and back panel and door panels look nice done up too!

How hard is it to cover all this stuff in leather?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I figured it's not really hard at all. I am looking at local junkayards and craigslist for a door panel for cheap. Because I want to practice on that before I move onto mine. But mainly it's measuring.. and measuring because with leather if you mess up, it's costly.
Then sew the parts toghether and glue on. I plan on putting some very thin padding under it as well to give it some more luxury feel. Unless Candiman starts selling so I don't have to do all the leather work. lol

Either way I plan on doing a how-to on it.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:28 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

a little too bright for me, but not bad man...Lethal Performance does colored carbon fiber. You could a red carbon fiber dash kit done if you were interested...thought I would throw that out there.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

The quality of work looks good, though I think I'd have gone with just black leather for the entirety of the panel. The red leather against the red center console just doesn't do it for me. Personally, I'd either put the console back to black and leave the red on the pillars, or just do the pillars all black if you're set on having the red console.

This is actually something I've been thinking about doing. The way I sit, my kneecap rests right against the corner of that pillar, and I'd think some thin padding and a leather (or even vinyl, hell) cover over it would make it immensely more comfortable for driving long distances.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Holy bright! I like the leather wrapped radio console though, looks sharp.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Yeah. Driving today made me think I want it in black leather. So I'll be swaping out the leather to black and see how that looks. I'll keep this thread posted once I do it and we'll see how it looks. But I do want to keep the console red. I put on the black one I have to see how it looks and it doesn't do it for me

see below

Last edited by eddypython; 02-15-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather wrapped radio pillars. What do you think ?