Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Satin finish stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Sidmonster

Default Satin finish stripes?

I'm looking to put some rocker panel stripes on my 08 Grabber Orange Mustang but I'm faced with a dilemma. So far it looks like my choices are either very glossy black, or very matte black (which appears almost gray) and I don't like the finish of either.

What I love is the finish of my blackout panel (which is magnetic).

I did find some adhesive vinyl at my local Hobby Lobby which is the perfect satin sheen, but obviously is not automotive quality and is not suitable (nor is it available in big enough pieces).

Does anyone know of anyone selling vinyl suitable for striping that has this satin black sheen?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sidmonster
I'm looking to put some rocker panel stripes on my 08 Grabber Orange Mustang but I'm faced with a dilemma. So far it looks like my choices are either very glossy black, or very matte black (which appears almost gray) and I don't like the finish of either.

What I love is the finish of my blackout panel (which is magnetic).

I did find some adhesive vinyl at my local Hobby Lobby which is the perfect satin sheen, but obviously is not automotive quality and is not suitable (nor is it available in big enough pieces).

Does anyone know of anyone selling vinyl suitable for striping that has this satin black sheen?
I was thinking of going with the gloss black stripes because the hood and rear spoiler on my 2009 Grabber Oragne GT are both gloss black. I would like to see if you find any satin black stripes. I had a satin black hood on my 1969 Mach I and really liked the look.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 AM
mblgjr

Most vinyls will be 'flat' or 'glossy'.

And the flat-black stripes do look 'black' in person and not gray like you mention, though they do tend to photograph that way.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

I had matte black stripes on my car for over a year and yes while it may appear gray in certain light there was no mistaking that it was indeed a satin or matte black. I looked great I just wanted to change the appearance of my car
Old 03-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Sidmonster

Yeah, I guess to be more clear, my concern is that the matte vinyl (I guess just due to it being matte) has more of a gray-black quality to it when seen next to my blackout panel.

On it's own, you'd just think "oh, matte black stripes", but get it anywhere near the blackout panel and its very apparent that they're two different finishes.

Hey DylanFan, I really like the look you've got there! I've seen similar done with vinyl, but I'm guess by the picture that yours is painted? It looks really sharp, and the black gas cap is a nice accent. If it is painted, do you mind sharing what your cost was? (And did you replace the scoop are simply paint it too?)
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

I went to two body shops in my town of 59,000 people and they wanted $400 and $450 to do the hood. Then I went to a real small town about 10 miles away and the guy said he would paint the hood and the scoop for $200. He removed the hood from the car and the scoop from the hood. He stripped the paint and painted the black center and then repainted the Grabber Orange. then he applied the clear coat. The line between the black and the Orange is as smooth as can be without a lip. When I paid him it was exactly $200. He didn't add tax or anything. My wife wasn't too sure about painting it until I picked it up from the shop. Now she thinks it's great. I have to change my picture to show the black spoiler.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Sidmonster

Hey DylanFan, I posted a pic of your car with the rocker stripes PhotoShop'd in at https://mustangforums.com/forum/6894676-post22.html (got my threads confused...).
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

And that's my car behind his. (not really)

Hey Sidmonster, try going to Home Depot, Lowes, or Ace and see if they have any type of black adhesive plastic that you can cut and shape to your needs. They do have pipe wrap and such.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sidmonster
Hey DylanFan, I posted a pic of your car with the rocker stripes PhotoShop'd in at https://mustangforums.com/forum/6894676-post22.html (got my threads confused...).
I washed the car today and my son-in-law who is a great photographer took a bunch of pictures of the car. I'll post some this weekend. It has the black spoiler but I am going to order the plain gloss black side stripes. Thanks again for the picture with the stripes.

I see you are in NC. Are you near Asheville NC? We have seen Bob Dylan in Asheville 3 or 4 times.

Last edited by DylanFan; 03-24-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

I have vinyl that finish. No problem.

That is wrapping vinyl, but I have standard lettering vinyl that matches it.

Quick Reply: Satin finish stripes?