Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2

well those of you who have painted your calipers in the past know what im talking about and are familiar with at least one of these....

ive recently sold my old car and bought a new one and have used both kits (one on each car) and thought id post up my findings...

on my old car, i painted my front and rear calipers with the Duplicolor caliper paint kit you can buy at discount auto parts or autozone for around $15....

this kit came with a brush, the caliper paint, caliper clear, and a mixing stick....and, of course, instructions...

after cleaning the calipers well, i painted my calipers with somewhat thick layers of paint allowing ample time in between for the first layer to dry....

after the job was done, the calipers were a nice vibrant red color and looked awesome....

after a while of course youll have chips and youll need to touch them up as they come....

as for the G2 kit, i used it on my new car....the previous owner had it and gave it to see since he hadnt used it on the car yet....

i just painted my rear calipers yesterday so they will match the front brake kit that came with the car....

as i opened the box, out came instructions, mixing stick, paint brush, can of paint, caliper cleaner, and something i havent seen before, a small vial of a liquid that was labeled REACTOR...

when i saw this i was like "wtf" so i read the instructions to see what it was about and supposedly is was to be poured into the can of paint before applying it to the calipers...im just gonna guess thatit aids in the hardening of the caliper paint to be more durable than if it wasnt mixed...

well after i cleaned the calipers, i mixed the reactor in with the paint and began brushing it on the calipers and i immediately noticed that the paint mixture was thicker than that of the Duplicolor kit....

i gave each caliper a nice thick coat and allowed them to dry then gave them another generous coat....

i really liked the way they came out since up close you can see that the paint is on there nice and thick and covered well.....

as i stepped back to see the bigger picture i noticed that the red was as bright and vibrant as the duplicolor kit but the durability might be better with the G2 kit than the Duplicolor....

the G2 red caliper paint is the same shade of red that my 427 stripes are but not as bright of a red as my brake kit....

but all in all, i think the G2 kit is the better kit since i have used both of them...we'll just have to wait and see how it holds up to the elements!

if u have not painted your calipers yet and are just learning about it, my advice is to use the brush on kits...youll get a better result....stay away from the rattle can spray on caliper paint kits!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

When I painted mine I used the G2 kit, and my calipers still look pretty good. (that is, when they are clean, lol)
Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

What color would you paint them if you had a redfire? I want to paint mine but I'm not sure what color. I plan on chrome rims in the future
Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

what i would do if i were you is run a goole search for redfire gt or redfire mustang and click on the images link and it will pull up all the refire mustangs it can and just look through all of those and see if u can find anything....

i dont know why, but something is telling me black lol

check and see what u find and if u like anything just post up here for some insight...
Old 03-11-2010, 01:21 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i used g2 as well and all my cailpers are good except one idk y but i got the dupilcolor kit to just do the one over
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
MZ012407

I used the G2 on my redfire CS...if I'm not mistaken, the Duplicolor does not come in redfire, only the lighter torch red? Otherwise I might have given the duplicolor a shot once, since I re-do it every year. I did go with 3 coats of the G2 last spring, used as much as I could, and this spring they still look great. The color match is great for Redfire.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I usually do real light coats waiting about 10 minutes between each application. If you lay it on too thick it's more likely to crack and peel later on. I use the Duplicolor red brush on kit.

I think that reactor stuff might be a sort of clear coat enhancer to make the paint really gleam (thats my guess) about to do some tough up paint here in a few weeks after all this damned snow melts...
Old 03-12-2010, 06:16 AM
hiltsy845

the reactor starts a chemical reaction that allows the paint to cure.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:32 AM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

I painted mine with the Vista Blue G2 kit a couple years ago. Still looks like new. Worth the investment IMO since you only have to do the work once.

Dustin
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM
fordracefan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by d_ames117
I painted mine with the Vista Blue G2 kit a couple years ago. Still looks like new. Worth the investment IMO since you only have to do the work once.

Dustin

Do you have pics of the vista blue brake?

Quick Reply: Caliper paint brush-on kit standoff! Duplicolor vs G2