Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Vinyl stripe removal experts HELP! :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 AM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Vinyl stripe removal experts HELP! :-)

okay heres the situation....

i have a buddy of mine that has an 07 stage 1....

his car sat on the lot for nearly 2 years before he bought it....

well some time ago, he started to notice a small space in the stripes like a slit of some sort where it kind of looks like they pulled apart....

then a couple more showed up and then cracks started forming....

his stripes used to be a shiney glossy vinyl but now when u look at it, you can see like a matte finish to it....

today, they are just so brittle and cracked, we arent sure how he's going to be able to get the stripes off besides sanding them off.....

is there any other way of getting them off without sanding? are there any chemicals that can be applied to the surface that will absorb into the vinyl and make them easy to remove and not damage the painted surface?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:53 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

man. that just looks bad. I'm sure there's some sort of chemical you can apply to remove them. But like any old sticker I want to remove I would use hot water to soak it. I doubt that a heat gun will do much good since those things look baked on.
I would not sand it either. Not untill I see how it looks underneath. Maybe he will have ghost stripes heh

So he tried to peel them off and they just keep crumbling and ripping thus not getting any real progress ?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
SLCustomsGTCS
1st Gear Member

Smile

I was a Sign shop manager 2 years untill 4 years ago so you can take my advice at your own risk.

Safeest >>> Goof off from lowes. It will take a lot and work but it will make life easer. but its only going to work from the edges.

Less safe >>> Heat gun will heat up the vinyl and make it easier to get the vinyl peal off then goof off to remove the sticky part.

Easier than sanding but not sure how it will effect paint >>> Acetone will eat the vinyl and it will come off with a plastic scraper.... not sure what it will do to the paint but much easier than sanding. just pour/sponge on the sticker and let it do its thing for about 20 mins I think... watch and you will see the sticker start to bubble..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

goo gone, or 3m makes a vinyl adhesive remover, if you spray it on the top it will soak in and the stripe will lift
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 AM
SLCustomsGTCS
1st Gear Member

Smile

Also check with your local sign shop... The may sell you the professional grade goof off...

Fyi its not going to soak threw the center of a vinyl sticker... you have to start at an edge.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
c0dstang

Originally Posted by eddypython
man. that just looks bad. I'm sure there's some sort of chemical you can apply to remove them. But like any old sticker I want to remove I would use hot water to soak it. I doubt that a heat gun will do much good since those things look baked on.
I would not sand it either. Not untill I see how it looks underneath. Maybe he will have ghost stripes heh

So he tried to peel them off and they just keep crumbling and ripping thus not getting any real progress ?
I am friends with that guy, yes everytime we got to peel off the stripe we start from a corner and it just wants to crumble, we get NOWHERE. Onf1r maybe suggested saying screw and placing new stripes over them? It would have to be a perfect install, if not you'd see the lines of the older stripes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

thanks for the ideas.....

wow c0dstang, your car has a striking resemblance to my old car from waaaay back! its crazy....anyways, let me know if u want those front turn signals of your smoked out...i do it professioanlly for cheap prices for MF members.....just send me a PM...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
c0dstang

Yea man i'll let you know when i come up with some spare cash $$$$
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

yes you will see old lines... he*l you see DUST if its under the stripes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Mike, this is what you need...
Called the Eraser and simply mount it on a drill.
Start a one edge of the vinyl and keep it on.

You might have some discoloration in the clear though, once the stripe is removed because of the no-sun exposure...
If so, it's a repaint.

Quick Reply: Vinyl stripe removal experts HELP! :-)