Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Did some painting yesterday. iPhone pics

Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
KennyLSU
1st Gear Member

Default Did some painting yesterday. iPhone pics

I have been wanting to paint my grill black and I finally got around to it. I sanded-primed-sanded 3 times. Then started the painting-sanding-painting process. Did that 6 times and this is the result. The finish is actually pretty smooth, but I can see it chipping in the future. I just need it to hold up until after summer until I can get a Bullitt grill. The pony is on the wrong side. By the time I got done yesterday I didn't have the energy to swap it over. I will be getting to that this week some time. I also added a Super Snake Hood stripe a few weeks ago.
Yes the pics are crappy, my girl has my camera.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Looks good! I have the CS fascia, and recently bought a black billet Shelby upper, still trying to decide what I want to do with upper, lower center, lower sides, fogs/driving lights etc.

What do you have as the lower side pieces? I don't want to keep the honeycomb if I go billet's but the Agent 47 scoops or the Shelby brakeduct/fog combo are a bit pricey.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Ohhh wow that is a gorgeous car! Those rims are sick.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM
KennyLSU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Looks good! I have the CS fascia, and recently bought a black billet Shelby upper, still trying to decide what I want to do with upper, lower center, lower sides, fogs/driving lights etc.

What do you have as the lower side pieces? I don't want to keep the honeycomb if I go billet's but the Agent 47 scoops or the Shelby brakeduct/fog combo are a bit pricey.
I actually went and got some black stretch material and covered the areawhere the honeycomb was. I originally tried to put some foglights in the lower valence but they looked bad so I did this to cover up the holes I cut. It holds up pretty well for what it is. It's the same material as Under Armour clothing.

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Ohhh wow that is a gorgeous car! Those rims are sick.
Thanks man, I love them too. I wanted the Alcoa's but couldn't afford them. This is my alternative. I think they look just as good.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Shotokan1509
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by KennyLSU
I actually went and got some black stretch material and covered the areawhere the honeycomb was. I originally tried to put some foglights in the lower valence but they looked bad so I did this to cover up the holes I cut. It holds up pretty well for what it is. It's the same material as Under Armour clothing.

Thanks man, I love them too. I wanted the Alcoa's but couldn't afford them. This is my alternative. I think they look just as good.

Fabric huh? That never cross my mind as an option, I was thinking acrylic plates cut to fit if I did a DIY job, with speaker ports for brake inlet & possibly fogs.. basically recreate the Shelby setup. I'd be interested in seeing closeups of what you did.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

veryyyyy niceeee
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Looks great. I like the blackout grille look.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

wow I almost feel like a putz. All this time I've caught myself wishing my billet grill was black and you go and just paint it. Now I know what to do if I ever decide to get a hood stripe or something. Great job, man.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
spiechu
1st Gear Member

Car looks great!

Where did you get stripes? It's matte black?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
KennyLSU
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Fabric huh? That never cross my mind as an option, I was thinking acrylic plates cut to fit if I did a DIY job, with speaker ports for brake inlet & possibly fogs.. basically recreate the Shelby setup. I'd be interested in seeing closeups of what you did.
They are poorly done at the moment, but have lasted for over a year. I plan on redoing it sometime soon. I just stretched out the fabric to each corner and screwed in a very small screw to hold it in place. What I would recommend is taking the stock honeycomb plates and wrapping the fabric around them. It would look a lot cleaner imo.

Originally Posted by staggolee
wow I almost feel like a putz. All this time I've caught myself wishing my billet grill was black and you go and just paint it. Now I know what to do if I ever decide to get a hood stripe or something. Great job, man.
It's really simple. I was worried that I would screw it up and I was shocked how easy it was. I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Originally Posted by spiechu
Car looks great!

Where did you get stripes? It's matte black?
Yes it is matte black. I got it from Baltimorestreetmods. They took a couple weeks to come in the mail but they are great quality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did some painting yesterday. iPhone pics