Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

White or Black stripes? help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
SLCustomsGTCS
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by usmcmp90
ok so i'm pretty much convinced that i want black stripes but now that brings up a follow-up question. should i go vinyl or painted? and as far as price goes about how much would it be to have them completely installed or painted on?
For that your going to have to find a body shop you like to get it done at and get them to give you a price.

but to give you an Idea I paid 150 for my CS stripe on the side. I think I got one hell of a deal on my so I'm not sure it your price would compare. I was getting a bunch of stuff done at the time and the CS stripe on the side is a little more detailed than just laying straight lines as a mask. I also had buddy who runs a sign shop cut my gt/cs in vinyl to be used as the mask.

If you decide you want to get your side stripes painted I have the artwork for the GT/CS on the side in the correct format it just not sized correctly. Any sign shop could size it for you and create a vinyl mask to take to your body shop. Just make sure the body shop tells you it the want the letters or if the want the letters to be a cut out of the mask. If you just getting the stripes painted and not the whole car they will most likely want the letters.
Pm me if interested and I can e-mail it too you.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

The going price for a FULL set of rally stripes PAINTED on the car is between $2000 & $4000. That explains why vinyl stripes are so popular amongst us DIY modders!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
SLCustomsGTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
The going price for a FULL set of rally stripes PAINTED on the car is between $2000 & $4000. That explains why vinyl stripes are so popular amongst us DIY modders!
Wow wouldn't have imagined it was that much. As A DIY modder I think I would paint them my self before I would pay that.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM
usmcmp90
1st Gear Member

haha wow, that is def a lot more than i figured it would be. pretty sure i can get the whole car painted for less than that. o well, i guess i'm goin with black 12" vinyls then. thx for all the help guys
Old 04-16-2010, 11:53 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SLCustomsGTCS
Wow wouldn't have imagined it was that much. As A DIY modder I think I would paint them my self before I would pay that.
A good paint job is expensive because a cheap one (or DIY) looks AWFUL! You must remove each body part and prep/prime/paint/clear coat them separately and then reassemble them without messing up... all that work leaves MANY opportunities to Fugg it up royally.

I just repainted the center sections of my Roush's front bumper cover and rear spoiler to repair chipped paint resulting from removal of the white stripes. In retrospect (considering price of tools/materials and my time) it would have been cheaper to get a professional to do it. I felt it was OK for me to do the work since 99% of any flaws will be covered by the new matte black stripes... I still haven't finished it so it remains to be seen (next weekend) if I was right!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
JleoGT
1st Gear Member

Go Black trust me for my own experience do not make the mistake I did.
GOOD LOOK.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Dude, get some Eclipse Paint from Alsa Corp and have it painted on!! It changes from White to Black depending on heat...so in the day you would have white stripes...and at night or in the shade you would have black stripes. Check it out on youtube!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM
SLCustomsGTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
A good paint job is expensive because a cheap one (or DIY) looks AWFUL! You must remove each body part and prep/prime/paint/clear coat them separately and then reassemble them without messing up... all that work leaves MANY opportunities to Fugg it up royally.

I just repainted the center sections of my Roush's front bumper cover and rear spoiler to repair chipped paint resulting from removal of the white stripes. In retrospect (considering price of tools/materials and my time) it would have been cheaper to get a professional to do it. I felt it was OK for me to do the work since 99% of any flaws will be covered by the new matte black stripes... I still haven't finished it so it remains to be seen (next weekend) if I was right!
Well I guess it depends on the DIY modder... I have painted a few cars to increase the sale value but I cant say the jobs were show quality. I mainly don't like doing some things my self because then I know everything that went wrong.

Originally Posted by usmcmp90
haha wow, that is def a lot more than i figured it would be. pretty sure i can get the whole car painted for less than that. o well, i guess i'm goin with black 12" vinyls then. thx for all the help guys
Dude you say PA\NC and your USMC I can assume from your username. Are are you stationed at J-ville? Cherry? Thats only 2 or 2.5 hour drive Max from here and the shop I went to is about and hour the other side of me in laurnburg. If your willing to drive that far to a shop the place I went to is the best around. If intrested pm me I will tell you how to get a estamate online with out having to drive to see them.

FYI her is an Estimate they gave some one else.

Poster asked for "I have an 08 GT500 Vert and am thinking about painting on flat black stripes, how much am i looking at?"

Response was "round 300 for a vert.. i have to take the bumpers off, remove grilles, and the rear spoiler and trunk emblem in the middle.."
Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM
usmcmp90
1st Gear Member

thx for the info, PM sent