Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Cleaning Underhood???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Default Cleaning Underhood???

Hey everyone,

From the outside, my car is clean and detailed, but once you open up the hood its not a very pretty sight. I plan on installing an intake soon, and I want the engine to be as clean as possible. Anyone have any ideas on how i can polish underneath the hood, what should I use?

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:13 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

make sure you be careful of electrical components. unless you wanna see one nice big firecracker lol
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=mstngsule68;6981944]make sure you be careful of electrical components. unless you wanna see one nice big firecracker lol[/QUOT

lol yea, that wouldn't be too good....any ideas on what i used to clean it up?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
LIKESITRIGHT
1st Gear Member

when i clean mine , start with a warm motor, not hot. i cover my air filter,alternator with plastic bags. spray an engine degreaser on all the nasty areas and lower the hood for about 5 to 10 minutes, to let the degreaser work. then hose off with water , i use compressed air to help dry and blow water away. once dry i use f 21 turtle wax wheel shine on the entire motor, hoses etc. let stand for a few minutes and wipe up extra foam. makes all the plastic and rubber look real good!! hope this helps!!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:04 AM
SkyStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LIKESITRIGHT
when i clean mine , start with a warm motor, not hot. i cover my air filter,alternator with plastic bags. spray an engine degreaser on all the nasty areas and lower the hood for about 5 to 10 minutes, to let the degreaser work. then hose off with water , i use compressed air to help dry and blow water away. once dry i use f 21 turtle wax wheel shine on the entire motor, hoses etc. let stand for a few minutes and wipe up extra foam. makes all the plastic and rubber look real good!! hope this helps!!
help appreciated! thanks

what are the parts i should make sure to cover?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 AM
JimC

I cover the air filter and fuse box with plastic bags and spray it down about every 6 weeks or so. Haven't had any problems at all.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I find it hard to believe that any of these S197's are bad enough to require pressure washing or hosing off with degreaser. I typically wipe the engine bay down with rags after I wash the car and then detail from there. After 33,000 miles mine looks almost like it came off the lot.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

I just wipe mine down with a rag after each wash...and sometimes in-between if I've been at shows with my hood up
Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 AM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

+2^^^, I have found that swiffers work real good for the tight areas, the trick is to keep it relatively clean so you dont have to do any major cleaning, I wipe mine down after each car wash and after driving it in the rain.

Last edited by TEXASGT/CS; 05-05-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Default Engine bay detailing

My car is my daily driver and during the winter months, the engine bay does get pretty dirty. Each spring I typically wash most of the engine with the same soap and water I use to wash the exterior. Then I hose the engine bay down to get the stuff I can't get with my rag but am careful around the air filter and alternator. I think use my air compressor to blow out as much water as possible.
After blowing out as much water as I can, I usually let the car sit overnight to let it dry out more. The following day, I use Mequiars Hyper dressing and spray everything I can reach with a "misting" of this product. This is a water based dressing and based on the product/water ratio you have some control over how glossiness of the finished result.
Then back to the air compressor and use the air to "move" the dressing around to get even coverage. I then wipe off all the painted parts and any billet/chrome parts under the hood.
Final step is to polish any billet/chrome parts and I usually do a final wipe down of the painted parts with Turtle Wax Ice spray detailer.

After the initial Spring wash down, I typically don't hose it off again unless it gets real dirty. That doesn't happen during the car show season as it's getting wiped down and/or redressed pretty much weekly.

Hope this helps.

-Jim

Here's some pics of the results:

Quick Reply: Cleaning Underhood???