Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Vinyl stripe durability question

Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Default Vinyl stripe durability question

I'm considering getting black vinyl stripes for my Torch Red 08 GT. But a few comments from people have made me question the durability of vinyl.

My car is a daily driver -- I drive about 60 miles a day to get to and from work. Will vinyl get tore up by typical road debris? (although after a year and a half my hood is in very good condition, maybe a few nicks here and there.) How about fading from sitting in the sun all day?

I originally was going to get the stripes painted on but the cost is prohibitive. I figured vinyl would be the answer but if they are going to look like crap after a year then forget about it.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:04 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I know White holds up the best because of it reflecting the sun's heat. Also know that stripes with Metallic flakes like Silver tend to break down quicker.
Is there any way you can use a car cover on your car at work? Especially on those hot sunny days? It will help not only the stripe, but the whole car.

Right now, my car has to sit outside the garage, but I have kept a car cover on it and it really has made a difference in keeping the car looking good.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM
imboden
1st Gear Member

A car cover is a good idea, but you gotta put it on only a clean car, and if the wind whips it around it'll scratch the paint.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

just make sure it's good brand vinyl. even then there's a limit. the good 3M stuff has a 5 year outdoor warranty from 3M. so if the best stuff available has a 5 year life span then the cheap stuff is gonna be way less that that.

as for maintaining the vinyl I found this stuff that's specifically for vinyl...

http://getcarbonfiber.com/plexus-pla...nt-polish.html
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Vinyl will, yes, get chipped by rocks and road debris.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Vinyl will, yes, get chipped by rocks and road debris.
better than your paint!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:59 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

I have high performance fdc vinyl on my car and the life of it is seven years if i remember correctly. Yes it can get chipped, i have two small chips on my hood but it only went through the vinyl and the paint is fine which I am so glad about. I probably change my stripes more than anyone on here but fdc and 3m are both great. My stripes put up with the vegas summer every year and they hold up great with no fading. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imboden
A car cover is a good idea, but you gotta put it on only a clean car, and if the wind whips it around it'll scratch the paint.
Amen. Even a clean car with a breeze will get small scratches. Unless the car is in a garage I would NEVER EVER put a cover on my tricycle. I would rather leave a car uncovered outside and take my chances on rain etc. Fortunately my ride is only out of the garage on sunny days and a show is in progress
Old 05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snakebite64
Amen. Even a clean car with a breeze will get small scratches. Unless the car is in a garage I would NEVER EVER put a cover on my tricycle. I would rather leave a car uncovered outside and take my chances on rain etc. Fortunately my ride is only out of the garage on sunny days and a show is in progress
Well, I am the opposite. I would never, ever leave my car outside for long periods of time without some kind of protection. You have birds who fly by and drop poo on your paint. Let that sit out in the baking hot sun for hours without you knowing about it and it will mess up your paint. Or you have cats who want to sit on top of your car checking out the birds flying by. Don't forget about sap from trees when the wind blows or the debris that collects in your cowl as well as pollen and dust. I could sit here and type 100 reasons to cover your car all day, but I think you get my drift.
I have been using car covers on my vehicles since 1984 without any problems. True, you car has to be clean each time you put the cover on. I use a California Duster in between detailing to keep the surface clean.

Like I said, unless you have a car port or garage, the car needs to be protected.