Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Painting (Small) Parts Yourself in a Confined Space...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default I'm Painting My A47's and Have a Question (HEY PASCAL!)

I was bored with my car for a long time, now I've got the bug again and I'm getting back in the game

Situation is this:

I know a little bit about prepping for paint and doing some light painting. I'm no body man, but I could no doubt work for Maaco! That's another topic.

I would like to save (A lot of) money by painting smaller parts myself, parts like scoops and Agent 47 mirrors, that sort of thing. The problem is I have a condo, so no garage, no large tools or space for tools, definitely no air compressor, etc. I could use a spare bedroom or a small balcony/patio, that's it.

What is on the market that I could use regular automotive paint to spray that won't take much space? What about air brush guns or some other hobby type paint guns? An air compressor is absolutely out of the question, I have no room for it, and it would be wayyyy too loud for a place like this.

Any thoughts?

Oh...and unless you know where I can get Torch Red in spray can form (May not be out of the question...do they sell it in rattle cans?) don't say spray cans.

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 09-17-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I found a couple of sites that sell factory colors in spray cans, unless anyone has a better idea, I'm going for it.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you're indoors, get a fan to blow towards an open window about 8 to 10 feet away.
Place a table by the window and cover it with news paper, that will be your bench, lol.
Get the best quality paint trim rattle cans like "Spruce" semi gloss black lacquer made by SEYMOUR, that's what I use when I have to use cans.

You won't find Torch Red worth a damn in rattle cans so don't go there.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

My whole idea was to paint parts torch...If these touch up spray cans are a bust, I guess I'll go back to looking at other alternatives...

The best uses I'm thinking of right now are Agent 47 mirrors and SHR quarter window covers. I can't bring myself to pay for them painted by the vendor or to take them to a shop. If I can't figure a way to paint them myself, I'll go another direction.

What about something like this? It seems silly...but maaaaaybe?

Last edited by BleedinBlue; 08-29-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

I used rattle can touch up paint (from AutomotiveTouchUp.com) on my battery cover and it turned out great. I've told a few folks at car shows that I painted it with a rattle can and I believe thought me a liar. Of course, I was dealing with Windveil Blue and not Torch Red so that might make a difference. Seems like the Torch Red might be a bit more challenging to get a good match. Just wanted to let you know that I was very pleased with the results of my rattle can project.

Jim
Old 08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

The spray cans at Automotivetouchup.com were what I was looking at. I'm going for it, I just ordered the A47 mirrors. I'm going to figure out a way to get some decent clear coat on the mirrors once I get them painted and hope for the best.

If it doesn't work out, I'll spray them black and go ahead and install them. Easy enough, all I can lose is a little bit of time and about $30-40. I'll take that gamble.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 AM
night7519
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue
The spray cans at Automotivetouchup.com were what I was looking at. I'm going for it, I just ordered the A47 mirrors. I'm going to figure out a way to get some decent clear coat on the mirrors once I get them painted and hope for the best.

If it doesn't work out, I'll spray them black and go ahead and install them. Easy enough, all I can lose is a little bit of time and about $30-40. I'll take that gamble.
Be sure to post up some pics when you get them finished. I've been thinking of getting the A47s mirrors as well and painting them myself so I'd be interested to see how they turn out for you. Good luck and don't forget those pics!

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I'll definitely take pics and do a small write up and material list.....If it works.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM
london

i have bought a spray can from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com to paint a replacement fender. it cost me just about $20 shipped and the match was good.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I tried ordering from them but their site was down, I ordered from a similar site. It's good to know it worked well for you!

Quick Reply: Painting (Small) Parts Yourself in a Confined Space...