Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

What's the deal with my paint (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Default What's the deal with my paint (pics)

Why does my paint look like this (you can actually see the same effect on the windows)? The Mustang is a 2008 so it's not like the paint is old. Even after a wash and wax the paint still has these funky, splotchy spots. Someone says it's due to acid rain...another guy said it's because of "hard water".

Will a polish help this? I really would like a nice, smooth finish. Also, the color is torch red....no metallic. Just flat red.

Any advice is appreciated!

Hood:

Trunk:
Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

First step is to see if it comes off.
Claybar that puppy.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

If you are seeing this on your window too then it is some kind of overspray or something. It is not the paint failing.

When did you first notice it and where. Maybe someone way spray painting or something and you can ge them to pay for the detail.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Did you buy your car used, maybe it was repainted on those parts
Old 10-17-2010, 03:33 PM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

I bought the car new. As far how long it's been like that I would say probably quite some time. I've also noticed it on other vehicles I've owned in the past, but they had a metallic paint which made it less noticeable.

The pictures make it look worse than it is, I guess. Those were taken with direct sun light and at an angle. If light isn't directly on the surface it looks normal.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Looks like hard water spots. They can etch the paint.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:15 PM
bigstick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Looks like hard water spots.
My thought exactly
Old 10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I had that on my SUV when I moved into the Chicago suburbs with my g/f. I neveer saw such hard water. Damn near ruined my boat, too. It didn't bother both Stangs other than the windows since they both had good wax jobs before being subjected to it.

Polish will only seal it in. I'd say caly it and if that doesn't get it out then I'd have it professionally buffed out.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Andy_H
1st Gear Member

My first question is... did you use a chamois or something to dry the car off after you washed it? If you didn't dry it off, and you just let it air dry, then it's probably hard water. Just dry it off next time and you won't see the spots. That's what I have to do. But if you did wash, dry, then wax it and everything, then I have no idea.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

It sure looks like there is metallic in there. Regardless though, it is probably water spotting either from hard water or rain. Depending on how severe it is you may need to try a few different things. Before you do anything clay it to get a clean slate. Water spotting doesn't really require an abrasive polish to remove them but rather a chemical polish/cleaner. Some all-in-one products like Meg's D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme or Optimum Poli-Seal clean very well but also leave a layer of protection behind. This is great if they removed the spotting but if not then you've just sealed them in. Which really isn't a big deal but does require a little more work to strip that off and keep trying to remove them. Poorboy's World Professional Polish is a chemical polish that won't leave anything behind. This would be my first choice. You can also try some cleaner waxes. You won't really know how bad the spotting is until you try to remove it When you finally get them removed, put a good coat of wax on it and keep it waxed. Far too often people think of wax as just something to make the paint shine when in reality it's a sacrificial barrier to the paint.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with my paint (pics)