P51 stripe - MustangForums.com

Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

P51 stripe

Reply

 
 
 
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
  #1  
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Fifthwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 544
Default P51 stripe

I liked the P51 Stang that has been seen around, but I always thought they missed the most important element of recreating a WWII fighter plane style.

So, here's a quick Gimp (photoshop for smart-people) for an idea for a Roush type hockey-stick stripe.

I always loved the idea of putting a 1940's style pin-up girl on the side of our car just like they used to do for the fighters and bombers.

The example I threw together below is a little cheesy, but I think you get the idea. (the "kills" is just a joke... wouldn't use that... probably )

I think it would be cool if done right. Whattaya think?

Fifthwind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
  #2  
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Fifthwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 544
Default

Or maybe without a stripe but just as a fender badge in a green or silver mustang.
Fifthwind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
  #3  
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Fifthwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 544
Default

Or maybe without a stripe but just as a fender badge in a green or silver mustang. Like this:

Fifthwind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
  #4  
staggolee
4th Gear Member
 
staggolee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,579
Default

I've played around with the idea of a pin-up style girl too, for the same reason. I just never looked into a good way to go about it. I had a vinyl shop offer to help me out but I didn't like the designs the provided at the time. I think it could be a unique touch if done tastefully.

I do like your design as long as the colors make sense
staggolee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
  #5  
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member
 
Doc Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 78
Default

If I were brave enough to do this, I'd go all the way. Silver body with invasion stripes down the center of the car. Two black stripes bracketing one white one.



Then I'd paint the nose like this...small scale only the front part of the fender, back to about the wheel arch.



Add a pinup girl on the fender in front of the door, and perhaps a USAF roundel on the door or quarter panel.

Doc Hawk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 PM
  #6  
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Fifthwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nevada
Posts: 544
Default

I'm with ya Doc Hawk!!!

I think anything that hearkens back to the P51 or air corps era would be a cool theme. I know that isn't the origin of our car's name, but it's too good to pass up as a styling option. The one below is nice too:

Fifthwind is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
  #7  
09cs
5th Gear Member
 
09cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: California
Posts: 2,016
Default

Originally Posted by Fifthwind View Post
I liked the P51 Stang that has been seen around, but I always thought they missed the most important element of recreating a WWII fighter plane style.

So, here's a quick Gimp (photoshop for smart-people) for an idea for a Roush type hockey-stick stripe.

I always loved the idea of putting a 1940's style pin-up girl on the side of our car just like they used to do for the fighters and bombers.

The example I threw together below is a little cheesy, but I think you get the idea. (the "kills" is just a joke... wouldn't use that... probably )

I think it would be cool if done right. Whattaya think?

Originally Posted by Fifthwind View Post
I'm with ya Doc Hawk!!!

I think anything that hearkens back to the P51 or air corps era would be a cool theme. I know that isn't the origin of our car's name, but it's too good to pass up as a styling option. The one below is nice too:

I like both of those! I think the first one would look better without the "kills"
09cs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
  #8  
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member
 
X3xMONGOOSEx3X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,335
Default

Originally Posted by 09cs View Post
I like both of those! I think the first one would look better without the "kills"
ehh, keep the KILLS lose the stripe.
X3xMONGOOSEx3X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 PM
  #9  
retro_pony
2nd Gear Member
 
retro_pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 230
Default

I saw a P-51 themed Mustang (over the top!) and he had created all logo stickers (for the competition) such as Toyota, Chevy, etc and added them as he killed them, little more than the black lines. More like the symbols pilots had below their windows on their fighter planes. Cool idea... will have to look for pics.
retro_pony is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
  #10  
staggolee
4th Gear Member
 
staggolee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,579
Default

The side stripe on the second one is pretty classy because it's subtle. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.
staggolee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Suree_Mustang_2009
New Member Area
3
09-25-2015 12:58 PM
Mr. D
The New S550 2015-2019 Mustang
2
09-16-2015 11:04 PM
unit91
Classic Mustangs (Tech)
6
09-15-2015 09:53 AM
mustangv6305
2010-current S197 Appearance Section
6
08-29-2015 01:37 PM
Mr. D
Big Worm Graphix
3
08-18-2015 01:51 AM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory