Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

P51 stripe

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Default P51 stripe

I liked the P51 Stang that has been seen around, but I always thought they missed the most important element of recreating a WWII fighter plane style.

So, here's a quick Gimp (photoshop for smart-people) for an idea for a Roush type hockey-stick stripe.

I always loved the idea of putting a 1940's style pin-up girl on the side of our car just like they used to do for the fighters and bombers.

The example I threw together below is a little cheesy, but I think you get the idea. (the "kills" is just a joke... wouldn't use that... probably )

I think it would be cool if done right. Whattaya think?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Or maybe without a stripe but just as a fender badge in a green or silver mustang.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Or maybe without a stripe but just as a fender badge in a green or silver mustang. Like this:

Old 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

I've played around with the idea of a pin-up style girl too, for the same reason. I just never looked into a good way to go about it. I had a vinyl shop offer to help me out but I didn't like the designs the provided at the time. I think it could be a unique touch if done tastefully.

I do like your design as long as the colors make sense
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Doc Hawk
1st Gear Member

If I were brave enough to do this, I'd go all the way. Silver body with invasion stripes down the center of the car. Two black stripes bracketing one white one.

Then I'd paint the nose like this...small scale only the front part of the fender, back to about the wheel arch.

Add a pinup girl on the fender in front of the door, and perhaps a USAF roundel on the door or quarter panel.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I'm with ya Doc Hawk!!!

I think anything that hearkens back to the P51 or air corps era would be a cool theme. I know that isn't the origin of our car's name, but it's too good to pass up as a styling option. The one below is nice too:

Old 12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
I liked the P51 Stang that has been seen around, but I always thought they missed the most important element of recreating a WWII fighter plane style.

So, here's a quick Gimp (photoshop for smart-people) for an idea for a Roush type hockey-stick stripe.

I always loved the idea of putting a 1940's style pin-up girl on the side of our car just like they used to do for the fighters and bombers.

The example I threw together below is a little cheesy, but I think you get the idea. (the "kills" is just a joke... wouldn't use that... probably )

I think it would be cool if done right. Whattaya think?

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
I'm with ya Doc Hawk!!!

I think anything that hearkens back to the P51 or air corps era would be a cool theme. I know that isn't the origin of our car's name, but it's too good to pass up as a styling option. The one below is nice too:

I like both of those! I think the first one would look better without the "kills"
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
I like both of those! I think the first one would look better without the "kills"
ehh, keep the KILLS lose the stripe.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:57 PM
retro_pony
2nd Gear Member

I saw a P-51 themed Mustang (over the top!) and he had created all logo stickers (for the competition) such as Toyota, Chevy, etc and added them as he killed them, little more than the black lines. More like the symbols pilots had below their windows on their fighter planes. Cool idea... will have to look for pics.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

The side stripe on the second one is pretty classy because it's subtle. I wouldn't mind doing something like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P51 stripe