Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Carbon fiber hood opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
Cowl makes more room
What do you mean by that?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'm one of those who do NOT like Carbon Fiber hoods.

I just don't like the look, period.
I think it makes the car look mismatched in just about any color.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I'm one of those who do NOT like Carbon Fiber hoods.

I just don't like the look, period.
I think it makes the car look mismatched in just about any color.
Well i was going to try to make like a 2 color theme for the car, make paint the other parts i also got for christmas the same color, or paint the carbon hood black and do the red/black theme.(but isnt the carbon hood close to a black color?)
Old 12-27-2010, 01:32 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Are far as visibility goes, the cowl definitely hurts a bit. Pulling into parking spots is much more a guessing game with the cowl than it was before. I'm about 5'11" and it's fine for me, but I've had 5'2" or so passengers complain they literally cannot see over the hood.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Time2SHO
Well if i did have the cash, i'd buy them both...but im still a student. I know its a hard decision, im thinking im leaning more towards the cowl, because the car does get drivin in the rain some days. Would the hood scoop and the heat exchanges let in alot more water than the cowl?
I have a Trucarbon Hood and I love it. If you are going to be doing driving in the rain then im going to have to say the cowl would be better for you. I have a friend on here, with a gts-4 and when we got tons of rain last week he had to cover all of the wholes in the hood so water wouldnt hit the engine all day.

That Cowl does hurt vision though for sure. But man does it look mean as hell coming at you.

The carbon on the hood will actually look black from pretty far away. On my car since its black you can tell the difference. But other colors it just looks black until you are up close.

HTH
Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
Are far as visibility goes, the cowl definitely hurts a bit. Pulling into parking spots is much more a guessing game with the cowl than it was before. I'm about 5'11" and it's fine for me, but I've had 5'2" or so passengers complain they literally cannot see over the hood.
I'm about the same height is you, and i wanted to be sure that i was still ok with the visability. I'll just be sure for the people that are shorter than me(mom) to not drive my car haha. I guess its something that you just have to get use to..
Originally Posted by DRock
I have a Trucarbon Hood and I love it. If you are going to be doing driving in the rain then im going to have to say the cowl would be better for you. I have a friend on here, with a gts-4 and when we got tons of rain last week he had to cover all of the wholes in the hood so water wouldnt hit the engine all day.

That Cowl does hurt vision though for sure. But man does it look mean as hell coming at you.

The carbon on the hood will actually look black from pretty far away. On my car since its black you can tell the difference. But other colors it just looks black until you are up close.

HTH
The only thing about the rain is that im not totally sure if im going to DD the car next summer? But if it does, the car does sit on the employee parking lot at work and of course it does rain somedays, so thats why i was wondering. Is there a way to plug the heat exchanger vents? If i do happen to drive the car on a rainy day?
I dont want to hurt the car, but would all the water hurt the engine and other componets under the hood? Doesnt water get underneath when you drive in the rain anyways?

For the color of the carbon, i wanted to do like a red/black theme with my car, I got the SHR louvers for christmas, should i paint them black or another color to try to match the carbon?

Thanks for all the answers, i just want to be sure before i pour all this money into the hood.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You were going to order a carbon fiber hood and you aren't even sure what they look
like?

No they are not black. They have some black in them but they are not black.
They look like a smooth weave pattern. Usually blackish with silver weave

Like this:

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-27-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Time2SHO
I'm about the same height is you, and i wanted to be sure that i was still ok with the visability. I'll just be sure for the people that are shorter than me(mom) to not drive my car haha. I guess its something that you just have to get use to..

The only thing about the rain is that im not totally sure if im going to DD the car next summer? But if it does, the car does sit on the employee parking lot at work and of course it does rain somedays, so thats why i was wondering. Is there a way to plug the heat exchanger vents? If i do happen to drive the car on a rainy day?
Yes water is ok if it gets in there but not as much as the vents will let in. My buddy used some duck tape to cover the holes and called it a day at that.
I dont want to hurt the car, but would all the water hurt the engine and other componets under the hood? Doesnt water get underneath when you drive in the rain anyways?

For the color of the carbon, i wanted to do like a red/black theme with my car, I got the SHR louvers for christmas, should i paint them black or another color to try to match the carbon?
I would just do them body color. IT looks the best that way and not like you bought a body part from a differnt colored car. Do a black out panel and various small things and it will be a 100 times better i promise.

Thanks for all the answers, i just want to be sure before i pour all this money into the hood.
NO problem. Any more ? just ask.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
You were going to order a carbon fiber hood and you aren't even sure what they look
like?

No they are not black. They have some black in them but they are not black.
They look like a smooth weave pattern. Usually blackish with silver weave
[/IMG]
I just wanted to see if i could get away without painting it, but i also want other peoples opinions on it. Its not a big deal if it really looks that bad, i'll just paint it with the rest of the parts that i got over the break.

Yes water is ok if it gets in there but not as much as the vents will let in. My buddy used some duck tape to cover the holes and called it a day at that.

Ha nice, definitely dont want to do that, for the long term fix.

I would just do them body color. IT looks the best that way and not like you bought a body part from a differnt colored car. Do a black out panel and various small things and it will be a 100 times better i promise.

NO problem. Any more ? just ask.
Among with the louvers, im going to be putting on the CDC agressive chin, which i was going to leave black too, so i should paint the hood the same body color too?

I was told by a buddy of mine that companys sell carbon hoods that actually have fiber glass underneath? which isnt real carbon hood right? but Trucarbon hood are 100% carbon right?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I want this.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber hood opinions