Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

"Rookie Stripes"? & another question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Bait12

Default "Rookie Stripes"? & another question

I'm wanting to get some stripes like these...

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...tte-Black.html

but they don't seem to carry any white ones. I also can't find them on any other site, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. I'd be all over getting these matte black ones if I didn't have a white rocker stripe already.

Also, my other question is if it would be a stupid idea to get either...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/muwidew.html

or

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...l-frosted.html

Personally, I like the Mustang window decals, but my girlfriend thinks it'd be stupid because "everyone already knows it's a Mustang." lol. I like the frosted glass one, but would it be better to just go with the white one since my rocker stripe is white? I just think the frosted glass looks better on the windshield than white.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:31 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

Skip the "rookie stripes", just looks dumb. Get the frosted decal.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

50 bucks for two little strips of white vinyl???? C'mon man...

Look, go HERE and get a 24"x24" square of white vinyl and cut a few strips yourself and put them on for only $14.00

Anyone at any skill level can cut a strip of vinyl 12" long and about 1.5" wide. Heck, you'll even have enough vinyl left over to cut out the "Mustang" lettering that you want for your windshield.

Vinyl is CHEAP. Don't fear buying uncut rolls and cutting it yourself. Even if you screw up and have to buy more, it's STILL cheaper.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Bait12

Originally Posted by Fifthwind
50 bucks for two little strips of white vinyl???? C'mon man...

Look, go HERE and get a 24"x24" square of white vinyl and cut a few strips yourself and put them on for only $14.00

Anyone at any skill level can cut a strip of vinyl 12" long and about 1.5" wide. Heck, you'll even have enough vinyl left over to cut out the "Mustang" lettering that you want for your windshield.

Vinyl is CHEAP. Don't fear buying uncut rolls and cutting it yourself. Even if you screw up and have to buy more, it's STILL cheaper.
Thanks man, I'll try that. How easy is it to remove vinyl if I happen to screw up? I'm hoping I don't, just a what-if question.

EDIT: And should I bother getting the application fluid with the vinyl from that site? If so which would be my best bet? And I'm guessing the application razor is just a regular old box cutter razor.

Last edited by Bait12; 01-14-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

Bait12, I personally like the fender stripes.

As for the windshield decal....I could take it or leave it, would just depend on how it flows with the rest of the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bait12
Thanks man, I'll try that. How easy is it to remove vinyl if I happen to screw up? I'm hoping I don't, just a what-if question.
Easy. If you remove it within the first couple of days after "screwing up" it'll just peel off fairly easy. If it is allowed to set for several weeks, then just heat it with a hair-dryer and it'll come off easy. Good Luck and share some pics when you are done.

Don't buy the application fluid. Just fill a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish-soap. Done.

and yeah... the razor is just a craft knife... a box cutter will do.

Last edited by Fifthwind; 01-14-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Bait12

Easy. If you remove it within the first couple of days after "screwing up" it'll just peel off fairly easy. If it is allowed to set for several weeks, then just heat it with a hair-dryer and it'll come off easy. Good Luck and share some pics when you are done.

Don't buy the application fluid. Just fill a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish-soap. Done.

and yeah... the razor is just a craft knife... a box cutter will do.
Sounds good, I'll be sure to post up some pics when I finish. Thanks again!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bait12
Sounds good, I'll be sure to post up some pics when I finish. Thanks again!
The squeegee is useful, and you can watch some how-to videos on youtube to get an idea how to apply vinyl. It's fun and easy and you'll learn a skill. Heck, by next summer, you could be charging people to install stripes for them and make some extra cash. (Cough... I do this.... cough)
Old 01-14-2011, 04:00 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Stage3 (Pic) GT500 is a beautiful machine, fender stripes were an overkill.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:09 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

The squeegee is useful, and you can watch some how-to videos on youtube to get an idea how to apply vinyl. It's fun and easy and you'll learn a skill. Heck, by next summer, you could be charging people to install stripes for them and make some extra cash. (Cough... I do this.... cough)
You use only 12" strips when applying stripes? I would think there would be too many seams showing up.

Quick Reply: "Rookie Stripes"? & another question