Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

quik help: Rear Blackout trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

Default quik help: Rear Blackout trim

I want to add blackout trim between the tailights.. I really like the look. But are the magnetic ones ok and won't mar my paint? And if ok, where did you guys order from. I want to insure when I take it off my paint isn't scratched.

thanks so much
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

The biggest complaint from people who have purchased the magnetic black out panel is that it looks cheap. Not a personal opinion but just what I've read.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I have the magnetic one from American Muscle and it doesn't hurt the paint or anything. If I had to do it over again I would have put the $$ towards the SHR honeycomb. Looks better IMO

If you go with the magnetic one, just clean the area before you put it on and you'll be ok
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

The magnetic one sucks.

I had it and it looked cheap as hell when it was on. It was a bitch to get on in the first place.

Also, when I tried to remove it, it ripped in half. So take that for what it's worth.

I replaced it with the SHR honeycomb panel, and it looked much better.

SHR honeycomb or vinyl is the way to go IMO.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

I am about to pull the trigger on the SHR Honeycomb panel through American Muscle. Only down side I see is that the Honeycomb takes a little work to clean with a paint brush.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I've tried three different types of rear-blackout panels and here are my observations.

1 the silverhorse racing panel is nice. installation is easy, but you better install it correctly the first time because that 3M tape sticks quickly. after you wash your car, the panel retains a lot of water. i personally hated drying off the rear panel. when/if you want to remove it, have fun. you'll have to soak the edges and center of the panel with goof-off or wd-40. then you have to pry and peel off all of the 3M tape or use fishing line to saw it off. as careful as you may be, I guarantee you'll see some scratches in the clearcoat.

2 the magnetic panel is a waste of money. most vendors state that they will fit perfectly, I call BS. there will either be a gap around the faux gas cap or it will not cover the edges. it's also a dust magnet.

3 i had my doubts about the vinyl blackout, but I was surprised. I ordered a matte-black panel from RockyMountain Graphics, and had it installed in 10-minutes. perfect fitment, easy to remove if you have to, and was less that $20. Go for the vinyl and good luck!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My g/f has the magnetic panel on her '06. Yeah, it's not expensive and up close it's not the prettiest but when you back off it DOES give a nice look. It won't scratch the paint if you're careful and we've taken hers on and off numerous times when we wax the car. The trick is to have the paint surface and the back of the panel clean. They WILL get some surface marks in them if something rubs against it but you won't see it from 5-10 feet back unless it's a bad scratch.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

thanks so much for all the replies.. I just learned a lot! I hear you that the magnetic ones look cheap, so I may pass on that now. But w/the Amer Muscle Honeycomb one or the Racing Graphics vinyl one, I assume they are put on w/tape. If so, how difficult to take off, I sure don't want any paint damage removing a taped blackout panel no matter how much better it looks. thanks again
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 AM
AU2BOT
2nd Gear Member

Here is a photo of mine , not a fan of the magnetic ones , JMO ( for a bigger photo go to my garage )
Attached Thumbnails quik help: Rear Blackout trim-buster-5.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM
UMich97
2nd Gear Member

yanks, IMO, removing 3M tape is doable, but not fun. If you want to avoid any scratches on your vehicle, plan for it to take a long time, go slow, use heat, use fishing line, etc....and you may be OK. Just know, that it won't be an easy job. It was a big enough pain removing that stuff when I removed my spoiler, that I wouldn't really look forward to doing it again, unless I really wanted to change something out. Now, with that said, some of my favorite decklid panels are the ones that use tape, such as the SHR or CDC. I had actually started another thread asking people to post pics on here and really a great way to get a feel for what it will look like prior to making the jump.

Quick Reply: quik help: Rear Blackout trim