Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Roush Leather Seat Covers HELP!!! What a PITA

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:34 AM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

Default Roush Leather Seat Covers HELP!!! What a PITA

Picked up a set of the Speedster leather/Suede seat covers for my convertible off of ebay. One of my buddies grabbed a set of Katskinz a few weeks ago and they looked great and were a hassle free install...I had always thought it would be more difficult so I jumped on a set that I thought were killer.

Well I got them tonight...they looked great...the Roush ones come with a new foam piece for the fronts...so I jumped in, ripped out my back seats, tore my leather off and slapped the new stuff on...looked great...all went without a hitch whatsoever. I was totally stoked.

Go to the front and rip out my passenger seat....got a few harnesses to disconnect...its a power seat, with heat and an airbag...get it all tore down..see the first hickup is the heater...gotta go get some spray glue for the heater that will stick to foam and Roushes instructions say I have to glue a foam back onto the seat also (that came with the seats)...so I run off to wally world and get the spray and then begin to go to town. Immediately I see that the new foam on the front of the seat...there is no hole for the airbag in it and the holes for the headrest nowhere near line up like they are supposed to...not even close!!! So I grab the utility knife and cut the holes..not too big a deal but it still appears like the foam isnt fitting correctly...but you know what...march forward and follow the instructions. So I have the bottom portion complete only thing left is the top...spent some time making sure the hog rings are all in the right spot, all attached up and now its time to get it all fitted on the seat....man it just doesnt want to fit...then suddenly the whole bar on the left side that you attach the hog rings to rips out of the foam!!! WTF over!!!!

I tried calling Roush but they are already closed for the day...I got 3 kids I have to pick up front school tomorrow and my car has no front seat!! I have seat parts all over my garage and there is just no way they sent the right foam inserts with these seats....if you look at the pics the foam is supposed to completely encompass the entire seat and I am supposed to attach another foam piece to the back...its so tight there is just NO WAY to do it....

The leather is stamped for airbags, but the foam doesnt have the cutouts...and the holes up top werent aligned by almost an inch and a half...so I am SCREWED! Spent at least 4 hours jacking around with it after working all night last night and have to work all night tonight so my patience was at an end...even my wife felt sorry for me!! LOL So now I am working and stewing, waiting to get a hold of Roush tomorrow and HOPING and PRAYING they sent me the wrong foam, as there is just no way this fits on my car....

Anyone else have these in their car and run into problems?? MIne is a 2008 Cali Special...but I assumed the seats would be the same for all 05 - 09's but I guess not...

You can see its a good 2 inches short on the bottom...(its supposed to be flush with the back and you glue on a back piece...

THe back seats turned out great though...

Fords cheesy heater for heated seats is just some wires in cloth...

And here are the front seat covers...they will look good...if I can get them on there and they fit right...otherwise I will be crying in my soup over a wasted 300 bones
Old 05-07-2011, 03:25 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

DUDE! I feel for ya man. I can sense your frustration. Wish I could help but I am no good to you- just cant sleep and was curious about what issue you were having (Roush name caught my eye too)
Did you ever get this resolved??
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd call it quits and take it to an upholstery shop.
Installs aren't expensive.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Did you ever get it figured out??
I plan on keeping my convertible stang for a LLOOONG time- so I know I am going to have to replace the leather eventually.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

I wish you luck on this project man. The seats look killer and i hope it all works out. I wish I had some advice for you but i don't b/c i don't know that much about it. Sorry and good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 AM
luvmygt
2nd Gear Member

I was just gona order a set of those....i'm interested as to how this pans out. Hope you get it fixed soon
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

They definetely sent you the wrong foam. I bought the same seats but in red a month or two ago and have everything installed except the driver front. Ironically I realized my car doesnt have side air bags but of course I bought the sets for side air bags so I had to fill the hole with some foam. I will say that the backrest of the passenger side was a pita and it didn't turn out quite perfect on the back and sides but it looks great from the front. If you've got any questions just pm me. I should be doing my driver seat this week once o get some help from my dad.

And ya, the back seats were a piece of cake!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 AM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

so I got the passenger side in, even all jacked up....zip ties the hog ring bar to the back cage of the seat, didnt put in the foam back, and got it all on. Once the leather stretches a bit more I will go back and put the back in because the tilt release looks all jacked up without it. I still need to take the brave step of cutting the holes for the back rest though...LOL

Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Seat looks great- love the suede- and I know it helps to keep your a$$ planted when cornering. Just dont think I am going to DIY on this one (when im ready). PITA is only good for sandwiches & my patience isnt as long as it used to be!
Glad it worked out. Looks very high end
Old 05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Stetler17

Cut a small hole right in the center of the headrest mount and stretch the leather over the plastic one corner at a time. Heat helps here.

I was scared to death to do this part and had to enlarge the holes a couple of times to get it over. Better safe than sorry was my thought. If I remember correctly the hole ended up being about the same diameter as the headrest post to get it stretched over the plastic trim piece.

How bad was it to get the seat cover fastened together at the bottom? I would imagine leaving the rear foam out made a huge difference...

Quick Reply: Roush Leather Seat Covers HELP!!! What a PITA