Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

interior led swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Just to note, I did this on mine without too much trouble, but then I used to solder under a microscope for a defense contractor. The PLCC-2 LEDs used in the dash are TINY, and need to be soldered relatively quickly so they're not heat damaged. If the only soldering you've ever done is connecting huge stereo wires together with one of those big gun type irons, this isn't the project I'd recommend to learn on.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:50 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Just to note, I did this on mine without too much trouble, but then I used to solder under a microscope for a defense contractor. The PLCC-2 LEDs used in the dash are TINY, and need to be soldered relatively quickly so they're not heat damaged. If the only soldering you've ever done is connecting huge stereo wires together with one of those big gun type irons, this isn't the project I'd recommend to learn on.
well i soldered a mod into an xbox controller for a couple friends, plus i will not be doing the soldering my uncle will and i figure an ex mechanic will be able to do it easy.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Interceptor116

I did this, and honestly it isn't too hard. It just takes ***** to start soldering the circuit boards in your baby, but it is worth it. I know there is a forum somewhere that has pix and explains it, but I don't know where it is. Just do a google search. But you really don't need it. To get to the steering wheel leds, just pull on the silver part and it slips off. It has clips that hold it in place. Then pull out the button clusters, quick release the wires. Take the screws out of the assembly, solder off the old LEDs, solder on the new ones, put it back together. For the dash, if you have ever taken out the stereo basically same process. Take the circuit boards out, swap LEDs, put it back. One suggestion, take a pic of the circuit board that controls the A/C, fan, etc.. with the LEDs on so then they are off you know which ones are green and need to be replaced, unless you want to replace the blue ones with blue ones, and the red ones for the temp, with blue ones. Due to the fact that different color LEDs use different resistors, I have read that you can only replace the stock LEDs with green, blue, or white. Below I have included pix, and you can see what Im talking about with the A/C Fan controls. Good luck.