Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

just put on "mustang" 3rd brake decal

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 AM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

Default just put on "mustang" 3rd brake decal

thing was a pain in the a$$ to put on, i was nearly about to cry cuz i thought i ruined it, but just before i was about to wad it up and toss it, i got it wet again with windex and reapplied it and got it right! so relieved it came out nice and i really like it. if anyone is considering doing any blackouts to their lights i would recommend this for the 3rd light. 8)

Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Looks good! Nice touch.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Looks great! It was a pain to geting the decal off of the paper. I sprayed the heck out of it with soap/water combination. Once I got it off the paper, it was easy to install. I used a squeegie to get the water bubbles out.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Langor

You get this off of AM? I have an LED 3rd brake light so I wonder how it would look. But I like the idea of it with sequential tail lights.

By the way, it looks good when done right. I was turned away from it because of some of the peoples pics on AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I put one on the g/f's '06 Pony but wasn't pleased with the light output from the stock bulb so I installed a Sylvania SST 921ST. It's rated as 30% brighter than standard 921 bulbs. Yes, it is brighter and helps the lettering stand-out a little better. Is it 30% brighter? Does a woodchuck really chuck wood?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:34 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

yes i got it from AM. i applied it late last night, and now looking at it today in sunlight i didnt do a very good job removing bubbles. id like to mention its also not sticking very well. youd think it would stick like glue. it was only $10 so ehh whatever. i might redo it sometime, but next time i will not use any soap/water methods, i will apply it like its a regular sticker. can anyone tell me where that soap/water method came from?? it seems like it helps with the ease of applying it, but its not drying and sticking, even after 12 hours...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Langor

Originally Posted by jAAAmes
yes i got it from AM. i applied it late last night, and now looking at it today in sunlight i didnt do a very good job removing bubbles. id like to mention its also not sticking very well. youd think it would stick like glue. it was only $10 so ehh whatever. i might redo it sometime, but next time i will not use any soap/water methods, i will apply it like its a regular sticker. can anyone tell me where that soap/water method came from?? it seems like it helps with the ease of applying it, but its not drying and sticking, even after 12 hours...
And this is what discourages me from doing it. Sorry it didn't come out man. But the pictures looked good.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:58 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I also got mine from AM and used the soap/water bottle method and it turned out great! I squeegied the h#@!! out of it. I've had the decal on almost 6 months with no issues. Did you use a squeegie to get most of the bubbles out? If not, the air bubbles will cause the decal to not stick well.

I also purchased the tail light smoke tint from AM and they were easy to apply using the same method.

Last edited by kevinmalec; 05-24-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I just double-checked with my g/f. She says we just peeled and stuck it on; no water or anything. I do recall that I sanded the lettering on the lens flush so the sticker would sit absolutely flush. It's been on her car for about 2 years now and it's still looking good.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

i did try to squeegee over it, but since there was no adhesion, the whole decal would slide off with it >

Quick Reply: just put on "mustang" 3rd brake decal