Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Managed to take a decent picture

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Default Managed to take a decent picture

I'm taking a digital photography class right now (needed an elective), and managed to snap off a decent picture of my car. What do you think? Sorry its so big, I'm not sure how to scale it down when I post it.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
BKRmustangv6
1st Gear Member

its really, really, big...but i like it
haha
Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I like the Godspeeds and the car!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM
cooltoy

looks good. lol are you talking on a cell phone or is that just weird lighting
Old 07-01-2011, 07:50 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

first off.. this is constructive criticism.. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. Its not meant to belittle you or the picture, just be helpful in making you take better pics in the future..

second off.. it IS a nice picture... I like it.. Kudos..

what camera are you using?

Have you done any after-effects to this picture ? (photoshop,filters,etc) I'm assuming no, since you didn't know how to rescale the size

I'm not a big fan of greyscale.. but if its done correctly, its okay.. and the reason is, you can SEE all this detail..

The Lighting is odd.. and what I mean by that is that... look at your 1/4 louvers.. and rear-end, they're almost washed out.. and the detail of the 45yr anniversary emblem is fuzzy. and the shadow is askew weirdly at the front of the car.. which I'm sure is done to sun position on the horizon.. and your orientation of the car..

The car is not centered (left to right) in the photo.. have you ever heard of the 1/3 rule? (if not, check it out, its pretty interesting)

theres some sort of building roof just poking up behind the windshield.. thats distracting to me, causing the car shape to look odd.. along with the tops of those trees.. and the cars in the background.. and theres this gawd-awful oil stain up in the right front of the parking lot thats grabbing my eye too.. I guess what I'm saying is "location"

whenever I try to take "good" pictures.. I force myself to look in the background of the shot.. what is back there.. do I want it in my pic.. will it detract from my focus.. which brings me to if you could unfocus everything around the car it would pull your eye more toward it.. and look 10x better..

and just to give you an idea on some of what I'm saying:
Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Nice looking ride! Having said that on to the pic...
First rule to taking pic's of a sports car: Only fine half naked women allowed
Second rule: Send photo's to a photobucket account for proper scaling.
Greyscale on a silver car doesn't work for me, not enough contrast.
Keep working on it, you definatly have a nice model to work with.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Originally Posted by mayo
Nice looking ride! Having said that on to the pic...
First rule to taking pic's of a sports car: Only fine half naked women allowed
Second rule: Send photo's to a photobucket account for proper scaling.
Greyscale on a silver car doesn't work for me, not enough contrast.
Keep working on it, you definatly have a nice model to work with.

just half ? lol
Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Stin42
1st Gear Member

Meanstang is right about all the technical stuff. When you start getting serious about photo all of those things will go through your head before you even take the pic.

A good rule is keep your back to the sun and stay between the sun and the focus of your shoot. That way you have even lighting and the back of the car won't be washed out and the front will not be a stop or two darker than the middle.

I like the picture, the angle youre at makes the front end looks really aggressive
Old 07-01-2011, 07:03 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MeanStang08
first off.. this is constructive criticism.. I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. Its not meant to belittle you or the picture, just be helpful in making you take better pics in the future..

second off.. it IS a nice picture... I like it.. Kudos..

what camera are you using?

Have you done any after-effects to this picture ? (photoshop,filters,etc) I'm assuming no, since you didn't know how to rescale the size

I'm not a big fan of greyscale.. but if its done correctly, its okay.. and the reason is, you can SEE all this detail..

The Lighting is odd.. and what I mean by that is that... look at your 1/4 louvers.. and rear-end, they're almost washed out.. and the detail of the 45yr anniversary emblem is fuzzy. and the shadow is askew weirdly at the front of the car.. which I'm sure is done to sun position on the horizon.. and your orientation of the car..

The car is not centered (left to right) in the photo.. have you ever heard of the 1/3 rule? (if not, check it out, its pretty interesting)

theres some sort of building roof just poking up behind the windshield.. thats distracting to me, causing the car shape to look odd.. along with the tops of those trees.. and the cars in the background.. and theres this gawd-awful oil stain up in the right front of the parking lot thats grabbing my eye too.. I guess what I'm saying is "location"

whenever I try to take "good" pictures.. I force myself to look in the background of the shot.. what is back there.. do I want it in my pic.. will it detract from my focus.. which brings me to if you could unfocus everything around the car it would pull your eye more toward it.. and look 10x better..

I appreciate the tips, I'm pretty bad at taking pictures which is one reason I'm taking the class. To answer your questions, I'm using a Sony NEX-3 and it had the 16mm lense on it. No effects had been added to it. I was trying to cut the depth of field and blur the background a little. It didn't work as planned. Maybe this weekend I'll give it another go and see if I can get a better shot.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:25 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

Thanks for taking them for what they were, just trying to help out with something that I enjoy doing myself..

nothing wrong with bettering yourself, I'm sure I'd learn alot in those classes!

Nice medium range camera.. good quality shooter.. and plenty enough to take great shots..

yeah, DOF takes a little getting used to figuring it out.. distance to subject and f/# of your lense and length, etc.. sounds like you're heading in the right direction to great shots though.

good luck, and I'd definately love to see em if you take more..

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
I appreciate the tips, I'm pretty bad at taking pictures which is one reason I'm taking the class. To answer your questions, I'm using a Sony NEX-3 and it had the 16mm lense on it. No effects had been added to it. I was trying to cut the depth of field and blur the background a little. It didn't work as planned. Maybe this weekend I'll give it another go and see if I can get a better shot.

Quick Reply: Managed to take a decent picture