Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Having problems photographing Torch Red, any advice? Horrible pics inside...

Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Opie-IN

Default Having problems photographing Torch Red, any advice? Horrible pics inside...

Just finished clay bar, MeGuiar's cleaner wax, and two coats of MeGuiar's Gold Carnauba Wax Plus, so I figured I deserved some pictures. Every time I get some pink or purple hue that does not represent what the car looks like in person. It's a 2005 GT premium with 13k, garage kept since new, but I can't get the deep red to show up in pictures. Any ideas?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Opie-IN

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

it looks good to me! i just see a shiny torch red mustang 8)
Old 07-10-2011, 02:09 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I don't know how to help with the color problem, but I would help to keep the sun to your back on sunny days and shoot from lower angles. I think the s197usually looks best shooting from your knees or lower. Experiment with different lighting for best effect, very color prefer's a certain light...and red is tuff to deal with. Tinting your windows always produces better pic's I think, gives the photo more contrast.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

First of all your car looks amazing.
Very shiny and you can def tell its been garage kept.

As for the pictures, the top 2 look a little purple but its nothing major I can still tell that is Torch Red and not Red Fire.
They still look great though. I agree completely with Mayo though, tint is going to make the red pop.
The last picture looks a little bit pink.
The best way to not get the pink color is by taking pictures in the evening when the sun is setting. Afternoon sun is terrible for our bright red cars. If you have to take some pictures in the afternoon find some shadows.

This is probably around 5 in the evening, but I found some good shadows so the color came out a little more.
The black tint really helps the color too.

Another thing if you like to take pictures of your car, buy a photoshop program.
You can pick up CS3 for around $70-$80 that way your can edit the brightness and other factors to really make your color pop like its suppose to.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Ford-a-tude
2nd Gear Member

Not as much fun but wait for an overcast day. Mid day sun is too harsh. Too bright, too many shadows, too many hot spot reflections. An overcast day will provide plenty of even light. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but reading the manual for your camera can really help too.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Experiment with your camera. Sometimes automatic is not the best way to go. I have a simple pocket Canon point and shoot camera, but it has all kinds of adjustments to accentuate different colors, change exposure, compensate for different types of light, etc. I have some photos of my white car that are a nice shade of yellow! It was probably because of the nearby fluorescent lights. If you can't make the adjustments you need at the camera, then do some editing on the computer.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:44 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Shoot in low light and experiment with shutter speed, angles, flash settings, etc. Photo editing can also help a ton...I'll mess around with one of your photos when I'm home to give you an idea
Old 07-12-2011, 07:11 AM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

+1 for the all the overcast days mentioned up there..

or in a darkened room with specific lighting..

or you could photoshop it

good looking car, and nice pics..
Old 07-12-2011, 07:45 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

for one red is a difficult color because it tends to bleed alot and you loose lines. I would say if you have a manual mode use that and adjust the settings so that it is underexposing a little bit to help with the highlights that bleed all the red together. What kind of editing program do you have? Photoshop?
Some red cars I have taken pics of...Careful of the sun...watch your exposure and do some post processing..Red is an overall hard color. the white balance may be off on your camera if your getting strange hues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Having problems photographing Torch Red, any advice? Horrible pics inside...