Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Redoing seats w/ Katzkin hides

Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default Redoing seats w/ Katzkin hides

I'm spending this icy weekend in my hobby room reupholstering my pony's seats with new Katzkin covers. Progress so far (they need a bit of baking in the hot sun to smooth out the wrinkles, but that ain't happening around here today. I also installed seat heaters in the seat bottoms and back while I had the covers off anyway.

Pics of completed install are here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/6755393-post19.html

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 01-16-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Looks good!!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Looking good!

Hopefully all those wrinkles will get eliminated after a long bake in the sun.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM
warnen
2nd Gear Member

If you don't mind me asking how much does Katzkin charge for the seats?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Did you reverse the picture or something?
The horsey is supposed to run the other way (from right to left).
Looks good regardless... the whole car does.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Did you reverse the picture or something?
The horsey is supposed to run the other way (from right to left).
Looks good regardless... the whole car does.
On that pair of headrests I have it reversed on one side.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:14 PM
JimC

Looks good Paul, I need to get some Katzkins for my car as well.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:45 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

They look really good!!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys.

One thing to note regarding the seats on these cars if you have the side airbags. On my car the area on the side of the seats below the airbag label has always looked a bit lumpy, and you could feel the airbag housing against the seat upholstery.

When I was stripping the covers I found out why. The airbag resides in a pretty flimsy plastic casing with 3 plastic latches to keep it closed. On my car, which is extmely well cared for as far as the interior, all three latches on both sides were open, exposing the airbag fabric, and the loose lid of the housing was what one could feel on the side of the seat.

Fortunately neither airbag had come out of the back half of the housing, and I just relatched the covers, and added a couple rubber bands to each to keep them closed (I don't suspect a rubber band or two is going to slow an airbag designed to tear through the seat cover)

Just thought the issue was worth mentioning as since it was that way on both sides of my car including the fairly lightly used passenger seat, it may be a common issue.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Thanks guys.

One thing to note regarding the seats on these cars if you have the side airbags. On my car the area on the side of the seats below the airbag label has always looked a bit lumpy, and you could feel the airbag housing against the seat upholstery.

When I was stripping the covers I found out why. The airbag resides in a pretty flimsy plastic casing with 3 plastic latches to keep it closed. On my car, which is extmely well cared for as far as the interior, all three latches on both sides were open, exposing the airbag fabric, and the loose lid of the housing was what one could feel on the side of the seat.

Fortunately neither airbag had come out of the back half of the housing, and I just relatched the covers, and added a couple rubber bands to each to keep them closed (I don't suspect a rubber band or two is going to slow an airbag designed to tear through the seat cover)

Just thought the issue was worth mentioning as since it was that way on both sides of my car including the fairly lightly used passenger seat, it may be a common issue.

I never really noticed it at a glance, but I'm going to take a look at it when I get my car back. I wonder if those latches loosen up over time or if it just came from the factory that way.

How long did it take to do all the seats?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redoing seats w/ Katzkin hides