Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Get it fixed? Get an aftermarket hood???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Default Get it fixed? Get an aftermarket hood???

Thanks for your consideration. I have a black '06 Stang GT and I have a 4" long scratch, about 1/4" wide on the front of the hood above the hood latch area. It has a nice little ding in the center of it. Would it be more expensive to have a body shop fix it?...or is it going to cost more, or about the same for a nice aftermarket hood? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

the aluminum hoods that come stock are pretty damn hard to fix properly so get a quote from a shop then go from there
Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 PM
mm07gt

i am getting ready to look into this as well, i have a couple small issues on the front lip of the hood, and am debating on whether or not to have it fixed or order another style in???? suggestions appreciated
Old 08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

It all depends on shop you take it too. Often it seems to be just as expensive, or cheap depending on how you look at it, to buy aftermarket parts as it does to do repair work. I had someone key my hood similar to the description you gave and told the wife the "price", inflated slightly, to fix the hood and convinced her that it would cost just as much to fix as it would to buy a new hood.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Keep in mind that the cost of a new decent aftermarket hood + paint, will cost you about a Grand minimum.
So if the repairs of your stock hood are in the neighborhood of $800, it'd be a good idea to get an aftermarket one.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Forced Induction specialties

We sell alot of the vis hoods for your mustangs at cost is $525 to $675 and they come carbon fiber or we paint them to match for $300.

Here is there web site to check out the different styles
http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/...bycategory=yes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM
cboisits
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. I gotta tell ya though,...I think that the Kaenen GT500 Style Ram Air Hood would look great on my steed! It's $539 at American Muscle. I'd really love to go for a sweet aftermarket hood if it's going to cost about the same. Are there any pros/cons that I should know about in regards to aftermarket hoods? Oh, and what sucks about this is that I have a ROUSH hood scoop. Anyone want to buy a BLACK ROUSH hood scoop?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

IF you decide to go aftermarket- Which I would recommend, it really gives the car more character and sets it apart. Also, aggressively vented hoods can help w heatsoak probs if you have a blower.

Cervinis is, from my experience and from recomendations from others on the forum, the best hood you could buy. It has the best quality, and therefore the least amount of prep and most $$$ left in your wallet. They are also available prepainted, meaning they would be a simple bolt on. That said, idk of anyone thats gone the prepainted route yet and would be leary of it.

Heres a pic of my 2009 Pony Package with a Cervinis Type IV hoodw heat extractors. Its parked next to my dads Saleen which gives you an idea of the look of the saleen hood as well (Although that sob will be expensive as hell)

Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Im for the aftermarket hood as well. Trufiber has alot of nice styles as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Boonie

Originally Posted by cboisits
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. I gotta tell ya though,...I think that the Kaenen GT500 Style Ram Air Hood would look great on my steed! It's $539 at American Muscle. I'd really love to go for a sweet aftermarket hood if it's going to cost about the same. Are there any pros/cons that I should know about in regards to aftermarket hoods? Oh, and what sucks about this is that I have a ROUSH hood scoop. Anyone want to buy a BLACK ROUSH hood scoop?
How much would you like for the Scoop?

Quick Reply: Get it fixed? Get an aftermarket hood???