Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Window cleaning expertise

Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Window cleaning expertise

I've been washing cars since before I could drive; probably began washing my dad's car back in the late 60's; and I never, NEVER, had so much problem cleaning auto glass on the dozens of cars I've maintained until the Stang. WTF is up with this? I've used the microfibers, handtowels, rags, none of which were washed in anything but a straight detergent and NEVER dried using any dryer sheets. I've used Windex, Liquid Glass, water and vinegar solutions, water and ammonia solutions. Sometimes it looks fine but then the sun hits it just so and it looks like I used some retards wet, dirty underware to clean the windows.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

They sell rags specifically for Windex. It's a small blue-ish strangely textured rag..I got mine from the household cleaning department at walmart.

I usually use a very small amount of windex (after washing the car), on each window...and none on the mirrors/rear quarter windows. (The more damp the towel thing gets, the more streaks you get..)
It usually turns out great if I take my time.

I also find that it helps do do the windows in direct sunlight when the windows are heated up.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I've been washing cars since before I could drive; probably began washing my dad's car back in the late 60's; and I never, NEVER, had so much problem cleaning auto glass on the dozens of cars I've maintained until the Stang. WTF is up with this? I've used the microfibers, handtowels, rags, none of which were washed in anything but a straight detergent and NEVER dried using any dryer sheets. I've used Windex, Liquid Glass, water and vinegar solutions, water and ammonia solutions. Sometimes it looks fine but then the sun hits it just so and it looks like I used some retards wet, dirty underware to clean the windows.
lol, I agree 100%. My windshield always looks horrible in the sun.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Wow and I thought I was the only one who had this problem.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I thought I was the only one!!!! I use a fresh paper towel for every pass and ammonia-free windex. Seems to work for me. I do know this is a big problem, especially with microfiber towels. My girlfriends father uses some sort of wax and says it does wonders. I'll get back to you about that one. I can't remember exactly what he uses but I do know the man knows how to detail that '01 Bullitt!

(old pics but that's one sexy Bullitt!)
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

try a microfiber waffle weave towel
i find it works better than a regular microfiber towel on glass.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Try using Windex and newspaper.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Descena

my father uses that wax as you dry stuff on the windows on my mom's mustang and when he's not rushing the job, it comes out really great. i use rain-x and the mircofiber wipes and use a lot of elbow grease, let it bask for a moment, and then wipe over it again with a light wet mircofiber cloth. i dont touch anything else.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
I also find that it helps do do the windows in direct sunlight
Dude, I would try it in the shade with a warm surface...i think you will get better results.
On the interior, I wipe the glass with a warm damp 100% cotton baby diaper on the first pass and finish up with armor-all glass wipes to remove any streaks.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
Wow and I thought I was the only one who had this problem.
Me too! I feel like no matter what I use/do, it's always streaky or cloudy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window cleaning expertise