Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Engine Dress up tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Here's a couple links to some fairly reasonable items:

Billet strut cap set $40 shipped (same ones I have)

Powder coating service for your cam covers $100
Paint is a much cheaper option, but the material used in the cam covers (think it is magnesium) does not hold up well long term with paint.

Last edited by Doogie65; 10-26-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Thats some good tips, whats that simple green stuff your talking about? Where do i buy it. My car is white with blue stripes. What do you guys think will look good for accenting the engine bay with color/stainless/chrome. I think white would get dirty fast.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

simple green is a biodegradable all purpose cleaner.
you can get it pretty much anyplace. home depot, drug store, anyplace they sell cleaners, household cleaners.

if you paint the valve covers, ford blue would be nice.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:02 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Painted them myself, best DIY mod there is! Just use a high temp base, paint to match or high temp color and high temp clear. I've had no problems and it's been 20k miles since I did it. Also, just know that if you paint them you should not use chemicals like simple green and such to clean them as it's not good for the paint.

As for cleaning the engine bay, i'm a big fan of the train of thought in which regular maintenance leads to less work and cleaner areas (aka engine bays).

Last edited by bakerjd; 10-26-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:45 PM
WaldoGT07
2nd Gear Member

Painting things the color of the car without going too overboard is the way to go.....I painted my valve covers Silver Metallic to go with all of the other silver that is on the car and under the hood......I have a new little custom addition as well just haven't got it back installed yet......As soon as I do I will be posting some new pictures....

But here is a couple pics of my engine bay....And before you ask about cleaning and how it stays clean......I don't drive the car.....it is a show car and is put up for the rest of the year until the big World of Wheel shows starting up in January.....

And the new addition to the engine bay once I pick it up from the paint shop tomorrow.....Just wanted to get a little bit more custom with the car.....Enjoy
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

is that a cover on your intake and between your heads and manifold. My car looks way different under the hood lol. if you noticed im not exactly mechanically inclined lol. That looks so amazing, what do you figure u spent under the hood looks wise?

Last edited by kevilay; 10-26-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

here is my car

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
It also depends on your car color as darker shades (like with my Alloy) need some additional contrast IMO, which is why I plated my tanks and went with blue couplers and covers.

Looks good! I think I'm going to paint mine over this winter, but I'm thinking a nice dark red would go with my Alloy well to provide some contrast but still subtle and keeping the colors working well with each other.

Anyone have any pics of red/dark red valve colors on a dark (preferably Alloy) car? Gracias.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
nickb2236
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd

Painted them myself, best DIY mod there is! Just use a high temp base, paint to match or high temp color and high temp clear. I've had no problems and it's been 20k miles since I did it. Also, just know that if you paint them you should not use chemicals like simple green and such to clean them as it's not good for the paint.

As for cleaning the engine bay, i'm a big fan of the train of thought in which regular maintenance leads to less work and cleaner areas (aka engine bays).
Where did you get your paint? I was going to order spray cans off of paintworldinc.com but they don't say they are High Temp which I'm worried about.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:21 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Waldo, I like your new radiator cover, really nice tribute!

Quick Reply: Engine Dress up tips