Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Glossy shine

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

How often would need to buff your car like that to keep it looking like that? Are there shops that do that?
Old 11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

i give mine a light polish once a year..but its a garage car and only goes out on nice days
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

the best shine?

for me: claybar, then cleaner wax, the polish wax (possibly twice), then a carnuba wax.

the 3 step system produces the richest color and shine. also using an orbital buffer will give you better results than going by hand.

This is an all-day event, but i only do it once a year. my car is 4 years old and still looks brand new.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

I definitely need to do some reading into what product to use. My car is going to be put aware for 4 months in a week or two. When i pull it out id love to polish the **** outa it How well does the performance white polish up
Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

So basically everyone is telling me the clean, claybar, polish, wax and sealers technique will give me these kinds of results?

I was aware of the time commitment as I have claybared and waxed my car before. Do you ever put multiple lays on of anything? (Fro example, 1 coats of polish, 2 of wax)

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
So basically everyone is telling me the clean, claybar, polish, wax and sealers technique will give me these kinds of results?

I was aware of the time commitment as I have claybared and waxed my car before. Do you ever put multiple lays on of anything? (Fro example, 1 coats of polish, 2 of wax)

Thanks.
No..that will make it look a little better and make the paint feel slick but it will do nothing as far as correction and removing oxidation. Using polish by hand has very little results unless you do it till your arms fall off using the proper pads with it. The steps you mentioned are what you do to prep paint before buffing.
The only way to actually make a difference is with a machine..and not with the $30 orbital you can buy at walmart..those will do nothing but used to remove wax. You need a Dual action machine like a Porter Cable 7424, Griots 6" polisher..non of this stuff is cheap but to have any real results they are needed.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:43 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
No..that will make it look a little better and make the paint feel slick but it will do nothing as far as correction and removing oxidation. Using polish by hand has very little results unless you do it till your arms fall off using the proper pads with it. The steps you mentioned are what you do to prep paint before buffing.
The only way to actually make a difference is with a machine..and not with the $30 orbital you can buy at walmart..those will do nothing but used to remove wax. You need a Dual action machine like a Porter Cable 7424, Griots 6" polisher..non of this stuff is cheap but to have any real results they are needed.
Ya, I found a barely used porter cable 7424 this past summer. Got a hell of deal, around $60 I think with some additional stuff. Pretty much new in the box.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I dust & spray my black cars with detailer or quick wax before and after each time driving them...I give them a complete buffing and mutiple wax coats once a yr...and I dont get them wet...awesome shine!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lifter583
I dust & spray my black cars with detailer or quick wax before and after each time driving them...I give them a complete buffing and mutiple wax coats once a yr...and I dont get them wet...awesome shine!
you wax once a year? you do realize adding multiple coats really isnt going to increase its durability. Also depending on the wax you are using it might only last a month or so. this sounds like a awful cleaning way.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
you wax once a year? you do realize adding multiple coats really isnt going to increase its durability. Also depending on the wax you are using it might only last a month or so. this sounds like a awful cleaning way.
I didnt explain it well...I have a shop strip and buff down the car and go through a 3 step process and then 2 coats of wax for the yearly thing...the wax lasts a long time due to the detailer and quick wax applications...I never wash them and are never outside unless I am driving them...seems to work quite well...the finish is glass smooth and shines incredibly...

Last edited by Lifter583; 11-09-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Glossy shine