Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Glossy shine

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Glossy shine

Hey guys,

What does it take to make a paint job look like a mirror? I want the high gloss that just reflects everything, and you can see it from afar. Is that a paint job or can you turn a used car into looking like this with swirl remover and a wax? (or multiple coats, sealants, wet sanding, whatever).

If it is a paint job, how much are we talking?
If it is done by product, what should I be buying and their potential cost. (I already have a porter cable)

Below are two images I found. I have seen better, so please use these as a base and go up. I remember an image of a stang under a tree from about 20 yards and it was a mirror to its surroundings but I can't find it.

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:52 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Subscribed because I also want this look lol. Good thread OP!

Gonna have to deal with a little orange peel first though, mine seems to have some on the bottom of the car.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Maybe multiple coats of Clear Coat to start?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:08 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Gonna have to deal with a little orange peel first though, mine seems to have some on the bottom of the car.
How do you get rid of orange peel? I thought that was just the paint job - unfixable unless you repaint.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
How do you get rid of orange peel? I thought that was just the paint job - unfixable unless you repaint.
I honestly don't know the specifics but I heard wetsanding (and perhaps reclearcoat?) were a good solution. Not sure on that, but hopefully pascal or some other people with experience in paint can chime in.

But yes, I do believe you can have that fixed/remedied without repainting the whole car.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Well there are multiple things you can do to get rid of swirls and make the paint shine like crazy. The problem is that you will always have orange peel unless you wetsand, and if you wetsand the orange peel out you might have to respray the clear. If you want to get into detailing in general, the best advice I can give is to look into adamspolishes.com. I've used alot of various detailing products and seen even more then that, and Adam's (except for the glass cleaner and clay bar) is my favorite. Not saying that is the only company that works, of course, but their stuff does work well. 2 things I absolutely do not recommend are buying a buffing wheel and compound without a skilled detailer to teach you, and looking for advice in our forum's detailing section. Also be wary of anyone who says their way is the only way, because those kinds of people are just bull****ting you.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:35 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=63859

It can't get more detailed than that.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

here is my paint

I have orange peel but I am not going to wet sand my car because its not that noticeable.
My paint looks this way after countless hours with my buffer buffing it out and finishing out the paint with different stages of polish and pads. Also only letting top quality MF towels touch my paint as to not induce any swirls from cheap towels. There is ALOT and time and effort into making paint perfect. Notice how ZERO swirls show up in the sun reflection.
The things I have used on my car are consist of whats in my detail cabinet..this is an older pic and the amount of products has grown.
I sold my Flex 3401 and my Porter Cable 7424 and bought a Griots 6" buffer..I had no use for the Flex anymore because with the 7/8" Hydrotech pads and the Microfiber pads did everything I need.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
here is my paint

do mine for me next?

Quick Reply: Glossy shine