Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Swirl remover

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM
mdskala
1st Gear Member

Swirls on black?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 & orange pad. It gets all the swirls out no problem and it finishes off SO perfect. mmm. 205 isn't very aggressive.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

I have been doing this kind of stuff for many years. I'm very picky when it comes to swirls and I have had a few black cars as well which always looked like glass. The best stuff for the Porta Cable is 3M swirl and scratch remover with an orange pad. All the rest are crap IMHO.

Last edited by slickman; 12-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slickman
I have been doing this kind of stuff for many years. I'm very picky when it comes to swirls and I have had a few black cars as well which always looked like glass. The best stuff for the Porta Cable is 3M swirl and scratch remover with an orange pad. All the rest are crap IMHO.
Shouldn't give bad advice saying everything is Crap. Obviously you don't have alot of experience if you claim.
Using an Orange bad on soft black paint will cause nightmares with marring and not finishing down properly.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
Shouldn't give bad advice saying everything is Crap. Obviously you don't have alot of experience if you claim.
Using an Orange bad on soft black paint will cause nightmares with marring and not finishing down properly.

I have used many different types and the best results have been with 3M. So, IMHO, the rest is crap. Also, you need to use the pad that's needed to remove the swirls depending on how bad they are.

If you know what your talking about, you would know an opinion depends on the conditions of the paint. In some the swirls or scratches need the orange pad. So, I have been doing this for 10 years and I also have friends that own a body shop. So, don't make comments when you have NO idea what YOUR talking about.

Oh, and opinions are like *** holes, every body has one. This is mine from experance..
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Lol if you say so. But to anyone else looking there are a ton of other great products. Menzerna,wolfgang,blackfire,chemical guys, pinnacle, meguiars.please don't get started with body shops. 90% time they are the hacks who fubar paint when Buffing anyway
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 AM
slickman
5th Gear Member

Oh and I have had at least 4 black cars and many dark color ones, this one was my last. It was like a mirror.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

lol any car looks good in shade and that far away.
Put a spot light to it or direct sun shots

Just cause you know someone who has a body shop doesnt mean anything soo lets take a look.
My neighbors impala AFTER a bodyshop detail

then after I fixed it for him

all those CRAP non 3M products really suck huh
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
slickman
5th Gear Member

The shop I always deal with and who is a friend, does $50,000 car restos so, he knows what he's doing. Oh, and a brand new mustang like yours should look good, does not take much to get it that way being that new. Get a paint job thats 20 years old to look that way, which I did. Then your saying something.

This is my 1972 Nova SS, The spots you see in the picture are water spots from rain. I had the flash on which made it much worse. Can't take any new pics, sold the car for $30,000 six months ago.

Last edited by slickman; 12-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

back on topic...Let the ultimate detailer stay with his 3M and his swirls in his nova that are visible.

The stuff I use on my car is mainly Lake Country Hydrotech pads. since the paint on my car is beyond soft i have yet to find anything to finish down as perfect as a Hydrotech Crimson pad and menzerna 85RD.
Harder clears you can get away with more aggressive combos and be wax ready..I did my buddies 2010 camaro with the meguiars Microfiber pads..used the Cutting pad and compound and it finished out perfect..there was no need to go an extra step. GREAT products you can get in anystore to use would be ultimate compound for moderate defects and swirls..and then follow that up with the Ultimate polish. You can use a orange lake country pad with the ultimae compound of the tangerine hydrotech..then follow up with ultimate polish with something like a white lake country or crimson hydrotech. there are SOOOO many top quality combinations out there its almost limitless. but you cant go wrong with the ones i mentioned before and Optimum to add to the list.
Menzerna power finish is my favorite 1step polish..it does a good job at defect removal and it finishes down great.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 12-14-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Swirl remover