Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Wheels/Tires decided on, but still need help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Default Wheels/Tires decided on, but still need help...

Hi everyone,

I made a thread a few days ago about tire sizes mainly. I've made up my mind and decided that I'm going with a staggered Nitto 555 setup of 255/45/18s and 275/45/18s. The sidewalls I have now are 45s so I shouldn't have to worry about speedo re-calibration. I've decided to go with a package with machined gt500 wheels seen here:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/machin...0509-stag.html

Here's my question though: I'm going to need acorn lug nuts for these wheels which cost at the minimum of 20 bucks. But, I visited AM's new products section and came across these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/blue-acorn-lugnuts.html

For some reason, these really intrigue me. I feel like it would give a little splash of color to the wheel, not necessarily matching my body paint, but hey, I do like the look of the Iridium RTR:

http://mustangrtr.com/newsletter/11-2-11.html

So what do you all think? Is it worth it to spend 10 extra bucks on these? Would you think they'd look good on my combo?

Bonus: What do you think of this painted to match armrest cover?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/painte...over-0509.html

I think it'd be cool to add a little color on the inside besides the welt. Though I'm not going overboard, painting every piece on the inside Vista blue...

Here's the ride for you to chew over:

And here's the best shot (pitiful, I know) of the interior that I have atm. I have black cloth interior with welt in the dash and around the door inserts:

Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

First, those rims are going to look great on your car. I love machined rims with black accents (I'm biased )

I do like the lugs in a weird way, but its one of those things, do you want your lugs to stand out? I think it may take away from the overall look of your car and destract from the best aspects of your car.

As for the arm rest, go for it. You have the blue welt already, so it will add another splash.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:42 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

OMFG.
How did you get your welt to fit?!?!

I have the non-premium doors like yours and it won't stay in...I really don't feel like gluing them.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Excellent choice on the wheels, you will love them.

As far as the lugs, go black. I think those blue would draw too much attention, and that attention will be away from the wheel. Make sure the lugs are smaller, the hole on these wheels are more narrow.

As far as the arm rest cover. I really like the cover you put the link to, but one of the things I did not like about the stock one was how hard it was. I bought the leather one with the pony logo from AM, and paid a upolstry(spelling?) shop $40 to install it with some extra foam padding. It looks great and it feels great when I rest my arm on it. Someone on here was sellng center consols that he painted red, I think that would look great in blue.

Cannot wait to see pics of your new wheels.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Wheels will look tight mad, but you do realize that the package in the link is a 275/40/18 not 275/45/18.
275/45/18 would be a great fit at 27.74", but not many tires to choose from
I'm out on the lugs man....too much roney for this pony! Black or polished lugs all day imo.
I dig the idea of the console color, but I don't know if I would want to lay my arm on it all day.
I went this route on the armrest...
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-cons...2009/p/CONP25/

Expensive??...yes, but its like my grandfather used to tell me.
Son there is no better place to spend your money than where you park your *** everyday!
Armrest qualifies as the same thing in my book

Last edited by mayo; 01-07-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I think you all are right, the blue would distract from the overall lines... I think I'll go with hotwheel's suggestion on the black lugs. That way only the silver of the wheel will shine and the rest of the trim will be black.

Mayo, I don't know where I got the 45 dimension from, I see that it's 275/40/18s. I wonder with such a minimal change in diameter how off my speedo will be...

As for the armrest cover, I really like the blue cover but now I'm rethinking it. Mayo, you brought up the 160 dollar armrest, but now you've got me rethinking my decision to spend over 100 bucks on such a small part of the interior when I might just save up that little bit of cash and put it into my 2014/15 GT fund...

Kput, sorry man! Those felt trim pieces around the door insert are superglued in as I couldn't figure out how to make 'em stick in either... sorry I couldn't help ya.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MadStang40
Thanks everyone. I wonder with such a minimal change in diameter how off my speedo will be...
YW bro!

1.9% difference, according to the tire calculator...no biggie there.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

I bought this armrest from AM for $45

http://www.americanmuscle.com/armrest-pony-0509.html
(little less with discount) and paid $40 to install with extra foam padding. Looks custom, feels great and I get compliments on it from everyone who looks in my car. Not bad for under $100.

Sorry bout the crappy photo!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Hmmm I can deal with 1.9% haha

Thanks Hotwheel, I'll look into that. Though I probably won't need extra padding as the padding in the stock armrest (or lack thereof) feels just fine already and I'm sure this would feel even better.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Black machined GT500 wheels are going to look sick on your car!! Look forward to seeing pics bro! I painted my airvalve caps black to match my car. =-)

Quick Reply: Wheels/Tires decided on, but still need help...