Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

What to do with $400?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Default What to do with $400?

I want to put some exterior mods on my mustang. I've got 400 to spend and I just want to hear what you guys think the best/boldest thing to get would be. I thought about saving up for rims but I don't think I'd be able to wait that long! I've had a few ideas such as a chin spoiler or sequential tail lights but I want to hear what you guys think, and what will give me the most bang for my buck.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:15 AM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Pictures didn't go through, here's links.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...0&ref=gnr-prev

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...0&ref=gnr-next
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Pull off the rocker stripes-Free
Pre-painted louvers from American Muscle-$200
Smoked side markers from Ebay-$40
Smoked turn signals from ebay-$40
Can't tell if you have swapped the stock antennae-$10 if you haven't
Buy some take off GT mufflers-$100
Take reamining $10-20 and save to have a muffler shop finish the dual conversion.

I don't know why but I dig you car!

Here's mine when I found this site:

Old 12-11-2011, 10:51 AM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

I love all the suggestions! I've been debating weather or not to take off the stripe since I got the car 3 months ago... I feel like the minute I take it off I'll regret it! On the exhaust topic... I've already got the magnaflow dual exhaust that I love very much I do really like the louvers and plan to get them eventually... but for some reason I feel like without some custom rims the louvers just don't look all that great. I have done the antenna swap to the 8" one and who knew an antenna could make such a difference! I do like the smoked side markers/turn signals and I'll probably be buying those. What are your opinions on the 2010 style raxiom smoked tail lights? I had been looking at those recently.

It really is awesome seeing how far you've taken your pony! That original picture doesn't even compare to how it looks now, I mean it really does look like a new car. I hope to follow down your path except with a few little things different. One of those would be possibly leaving the chin spoiler unpainted (or put a coat of black on it) and have it match the rocker molding. Vista blue is my favorite color for the mustang and I honestly thought I had no chance of finding one with the pony package and in such good shape.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Thank you for the comments! I too debated about pulling the rocker stripes, but when I did I had no regrets. In my opinion it gives a really "clean" look. If your going to keep the chin spoiler black the CDC one comes black and I think it matches the rocker panels pretty well. I am not a huge fan of the 2010 taillights but that is just my opinion. I do think they look better at night than the 05-09. Definitely use this site as a resource, there are so many people that can and will help. You can also get ideas about how certain mods will look before you buy. My wheels weren't even on my list of potential ones to buy, then I saw them on Franchi's car(another member) and I knew they were the one's.

I hear what your saying about the louvers, but they make a big difference either way. Here is my thread when I put them on:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...w-louvers.html

Here are two threads about some really cheap interior mods, door welt and sill stickers:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-decals.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ikes-welt.html

Last edited by Hotwheelracer; 12-11-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

I also couln't see the rear, but it looks like you have the GT spoiler. You could swap it to a GT 500 or a ducktail.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Cool

replacing the amber front turns is a must.

If you dont have an aftermarket hood, I would recommend saving for one of those or a shaker kit (Around 1k either way)

Vinyl stripes can be purchased and installed for around $400

Im not a big fan of louvers, they infringe on visibility

I cant see what color you have. A blackout panel and some trim for the rear tailights might really make things pop if you have a color that contrasts well with black.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Yeah everyone here seems so helpful and I think it's great to be able to discuss these type of things with people who also share the passion for cars/mustangs. On another note the louvers do look pretty tempting to buy from your pictures! I also like those little interior touches that add some flare. As for the spoiler, the GT500 would definitely be my choice if I change out the current one. I just cant justify that cost when I like my current one so much. It's one of those things where the GT500 is only slightly better imo. I am wondering though, when you said earlier in that comment you posted on my profile that AM gives you that discount, how much is it for?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:34 AM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks Stags! I do like the idea of a new hood but I just don't have the money. I looked into stripes and thought they would look good in white but now i'm leaning towards blacking out the car. The car is Vista Blue but the problem is its a pony package so i'd have to get a black billet overlay grill to remove the chrome aspect from the car for a true black out. Do you know just how much the louvers effect visibility? Maybe hotwheelracer can chime in on that. I have been looking at blackout panels recently and I might just have to pick one up. Thanks for both of your inputs, I really appreciate all the suggestions!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

I don't think American Muscle wants us posting how much it is. But you are well on your way to 50 posts. If you go to the vendor section here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...d-sponsors-39/

there is a thread about the rules for the discount code in their area. They also price match, which I used to buy my wheels. Almost everyone on here has great things to say about them, and from my personal experience they have been great.

As far as visibility, yes louvers do affect it. But, you get used to it and you can still slightly see out of them. If you position your side mirrors properly and are careful when making lane changes I think you will be fine.

The chrome pony corral on the PP, to me, makes our cars stand out a little more. I originally bought the chrome overlay billet grills for the top and bottom. It was little too much chrome so I used plastidip to add som black. I think it makes the corral "pop" and keeps the retro feel the PP grill was going for. Here is the thread:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ug-got-me.html

Last edited by Hotwheelracer; 12-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: What to do with $400?