Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

painted stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Tanner05
That looks great, Pascal!
I'm just going to come down to FL and leave my car with you for a few weeks and let you work your magic.
I can do that...
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DCzapla
This is my first winter with the car, and it is stored indoors for the season. Silver would look good but Im leaning more toward blue...kind of a nod to the past
Definitely get your stripes painted. You'll be glad you did. You won't have to worry about nicking the stripes with a buffer like you do with vinyl.
Blue stripes would look great on a white Mustang. Which Blue are you considering?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Definitely get your stripes painted. You'll be glad you did. You won't have to worry about nicking the stripes with a buffer like you do with vinyl.
Blue stripes would look great on a white Mustang. Which Blue are you considering?
i think this is getting too what looks good,(and lasts longest) too what looks good but is inexpensive. If treated properly cant vinyl last just as long? I guess the only drawback is painted is kinda permanent, while vinyl can be trashed I'm leaning towards vinyl, but only for the removal aspect......I can protect the ''roll'', if you will, just fine and I actually park under a tree in the summer.................next car is gonna be painted the same hue as bird shlt!!. btw!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
DCzapla
1st Gear Member

Im looking for a regular Ford Blue. Nothing too bright, don't want to attract too much attention. Now the hard part is finding a body man that can do a good job.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rocket237
i think this is getting too what looks good,(and lasts longest) too what looks good but is inexpensive. If treated properly cant vinyl last just as long? I guess the only drawback is painted is kinda permanent, while vinyl can be trashed I'm leaning towards vinyl, but only for the removal aspect......I can protect the ''roll'', if you will, just fine and I actually park under a tree in the summer.................next car is gonna be painted the same hue as bird shlt!!. btw!
The problem of removing stripes (especially after being on a car for a long time) is you run the risk of ghost or shadow stripes being left behind. It's where the finish on your car fades but where the vinyl lays, it's a little darker. Same issues with people who remove the side molding or door ding protector. Also some colors in vinyl last longer than others. Take Silver Metallic, it doesn't hold up too well in the sun. Now if you park your car in a garage and/or keep it covered all the time, then your stripes will last a lot longer.
I have the lower stripes above the rocker panel and they are holding up good. Mainly because I do keep a car cover on it even though it does sit outside.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:47 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I used vinyl so that i could live with it for a while and make sure it's the way I want the car to look, and I have made some changes since my first install. Eventually, for a better look and permanent finish I will have them painted and cleared to produce a smooth seamless finish. Because you're talking about a color change you obviously have not settled in on "your look", I would stick with vinyl and see how you like the color change and go the paint route when you're positive.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Solid advice^^imo.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Coachmoe

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Paint, why? because you can't get this effect with vinyl stripes

Your Cobra is BAAAADDDDD!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Coachmoe

I have vinyl on my GT / CS and it bubbled under the hood scoop.

I am having the vinyl removed and having paint stripes done in April. Never using aftermarket vinyl again.

My only concern is stripe the scoop or leave it plain. I think I'll leave it plain.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

Your'e not supposed to put vinyl stripes under the scoop for that reason. Find someone to buy them from that cuts them to go around the scoop. I ended up getting mine from Auto-Morphisis in Texas for that reason.

Quick Reply: painted stripes?