Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Do any of you have this problem?

Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Do any of you have this problem?

This is on the driver's side door handle, and as you can see the paint is completely gone in one section. The rest is covered in a thick "dried paste" sort of thing. I have no idea what caused this and I'd also be really thankful if someone could give me a quick repair idea to keep the rest of the paint from chipping off. Thanks in advance and here's what it looks like...
Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Any chance you have some type of chemical on your hands?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:43 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

That's what I was thinking Nuke, looks like some kind of acid was transferred to the handle.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I'm surprised that whatever caused that damage on the handle didn't seem to get on the body of the car... I too would bet you had some chemicals on your hand when you grabbed the door handle.

I think you're going to have to have it repainted, but without knowing what kind of substance caused that damage, I would suggest you simply get a new door handle. Could be a corrosive acid, and the plastic handle could deteriorate over time.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Did you buy the car new? If it was used, maybe the handle was replaced at some point before you bought it (a lot do get swapped when the spring to retract the handle goes). Could just be a substandard paint job on a replacement handle?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Go back and look at your cars guys...
It's just premature wear and tear and lots of Stangs have that issue.
The reason? Well you have almost no clear at the back of those handles because it's hard to get in the back of it, even for the factory.
Not enough clear means not enough protection so there you have it.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Go back and look at your cars guys...
It's just premature wear and tear and lots of Stangs have that issue.
The reason? Well you have almost no clear at the back of those handles because it's hard to get in the back of it, even for the factory.
Not enough clear means not enough protection so there you have it.
I guess I got lucky Pascal, my handles are clear coated well, it's everywhere under the hood and in the trunk where they got lazy/cheap with the clear
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I had to re-clear mine about 6 months ago...
I guess you got lucky indeed.
I didn't mess with the passenger side since it's less used but I expect to do that side as well.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I assume pulling the door handle out isn't too hard, and then you may want to sand the back down, tape off the front where the good paint is, and have the dealer bottle some of that blue in a spray can for you.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 PM
ML_Mustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the responses, and yes I did get the car used. As for the acid/chemical question, to my knowledge i've never opened the door with anything of the sort on my hands. There is a possibility that it was replaced, but with only 30k miles on the car its not likely. Pascal, you seem to know your stuff and I think I saw somewhere that you own a bodyshop? Well with your expertise... is there any way to keep the front side from doing the same thing? I'm fine with leaving the backside as is, my main worry is just keeping the paint from chipping on the front side. Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do any of you have this problem?