Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Hood struts that don't pooch the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Hood struts that don't pooch the hood?

So after the whole AM hood strut debacle and finally getting the 10-12 brackets that kinda fit better than the 05-09 brackets, for my 09' I may add, I am still unsatisfied.

The hood struts cause the sides of the hood to pooch and hood shake at 75+ is 100% worse to the point where I drove like a granny on the interstate in a mild headwind today.

Using a little bit of thinking, I came to the conclusion that most hood struts would probably cause this as they put pressure on the hood from the shocks and unless they were to angle downwards when the hood closes, they are always gonna have pressure prying the hood upwards.

So, my question is, does anyone know of a hood kit that will not cause my hood to pooch up at the sides and if you do, and have it installed, could you provide some pics? I will try to get some pics up of my pooching predicament but no telling how well it will show up since it's a black car.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:08 PM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

I had the roush ones just installed. The car is still at the dealer getting some other work done will be finished mid next week So I will let you know then. I hope we don't have any issues.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:33 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

No pooching of my Cervini Cowl hood (LOL) with Steeda Struts
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
No pooching of my Cervini Cowl hood (LOL) with Steeda Struts
I think you'll have issues sooner or later, I've been told by many that hood struts on fiberglass hoods cause it to "bow up" which is what I assume the OP meant by "pooching".

I've got the Cervini's Ram Air hood on my 2010 and have opted to not put struts on it, I had previously installed struts on my stock hood with no issues.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I bought the CPC Next Generation Kit--absolutely no problems with those.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BTR-75
I think you'll have issues sooner or later, I've been told by many that hood struts on fiberglass hoods cause it to "bow up" which is what I assume the OP meant by "pooching".

I've got the Cervini's Ram Air hood on my 2010 and have opted to not put struts on it, I had previously installed struts on my stock hood with no issues.
Well, no issues here (bowing) at all after 2 years..!!
I would think that bowing would be somewhat noticable as soon as hood was closed after install
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BTR-75

Yup, that is what I mean.

It's hard to tell from a detailed close-up, but the sides of the hood are raised about .125" and then when I remove the hood struts, the hood sits flush with the fenders.

To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed it but another member on here had said they installing the brackets upside would cause this as well, at the time I did have them upside down since it was the 05-09 brackets, but now even installed correctly they cause the same problem.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 04-23-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

I know a guy with a Roush that has them with no apparent issues.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

I still have my original factory hood and the struts do bow the hood slightly. Not enough for me to be worried about it though. I may later on down the road buy some Roush struts just for the hell of it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Well, no issues here (bowing) at all after 2 years..!!
I would think that bowing would be somewhat noticable as soon as hood was closed after install
You're fortunate then, from everything I've read fiberglass hoods do not play nice with hood struts. I'd even read on Cervini's forums, before they shut them down, where a person used the exact strut called for on their Cervini hood and it caused bowing.

Do a quick Google search to see people who've had issues (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hood+bowing+from+struts)

I'm not willing to risk my hood for the struts, as much as I like the look it's not worth the potential harm.

Quick Reply: Hood struts that don't pooch the hood?