MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section-122/)
-   -   interior trim issues (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/676199-interior-trim-issues.html)

Rundel 07-03-2012 08:08 PM

interior trim issues

I recently acquired my first Mustang, a 2007 GT/CS that was nicely modified by the previous owner. ( 6spd, aluminum driveshaft and flywheel, FRPP suspension, LCA, panhard rod, Shelby Wheels, CAI, Shelby grill and rear spoiler) Only 17k on the odometer at time of purchase.

I notice that Ford did not impregnate the charcoal black color into the plastic interior trim. Even gently bumping it will cause white spots and streaks to appear on the threhold or on the door trim or door panel. I've had O'Reilly's make me a can of matching spray vinyl dye but it doesn't hold due to the weakness of the underlying factory color.

So anyone have a tip as to how to solve this problem? Is there another coat of something that would harden the surface and protect it?

BleedinBlue 07-04-2012 12:03 AM

Do you have any pics? This doesn't sound common at all. I wonder if the previous owner did some interior painting, and that paint is coming off...but then again white underneath?

Nuke 07-04-2012 06:49 AM

5 years on the forum and I haven't heard that one. +1 on pics...

Rundel 07-04-2012 08:39 AM

right now I've got it all touched up but its only a matter of time, and ususally not long, that the threshold will get bumped and I'll photograph it then.. Its not just the threshold, kick panels, doors panels, window trim all seem to do it. I wonder if Ford assembled without the panels being properly prepped and cured but with a 6 year old car you'd think this wouldn't happen.

Nuke 07-04-2012 02:12 PM

Does it appear that they were a different color at one time? I believe the ones in my '07 and my wife's '06 are solid black material because I recall a deep scar in one of our trim pieces somewhere and it was black beneath the surface.

BleedinBlue 07-04-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nuke (Post 7987570)
Does it appear that they were a different color at one time? I believe the ones in my '07 and my wife's '06 are solid black material because I recall a deep scar in one of our trim pieces somewhere and it was black beneath the surface.

Same here, I've got deep scratches in a couple of spots. My interior pieces were not painted from the factory and are solid colors.

Maybe the white color underneath is primer or something. Until I see pics to convince me otherwise, I'm pretty sure a previous owner did some painting and that paint is coming off. That's not good, and messy. I'd suppose you'll have to re-paint to get it looking decent, and that's going to take a good bit of work.

pinn 07-05-2012 01:59 PM

Sounds like the previous owner changed the interior color without telling you. Post some pics of the problem if you can.

Derf00 07-05-2012 02:30 PM

Interior plastic pieces are injection molded meaning the color is part of the plastic (impregnated). It does not flake off or 'streak'

The white you are seeing probably the damaged surface reflecting light differently. It happens on all colors but black shows it the most. Take any piece (or color) of plastic and scratch it up, it will appear lighter in color in the area you scratched.