Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Headlight splitters after applying tint on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
1sickpony

Default Headlight splitters after applying tint on headlights

I was wondering if anyone has installed headlight splitter to treir headlights after using a film type tint? I think it would look cool but don't know if it would mess up the tint using the activator before installing the splitters or if it would just eventually just fall off or make the tint separate from the headlight. Im not interested in the spray on tint because its too permanent for my liking.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

It is so easy and inexpensive to re-tint the headlights if it doesn't work out, it's worth just pulling the trigger. Or...just get yourself a piece of tint and test it....this stuff is rediculiously cheap and available.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
1sickpony

Well the tint I am thinking about getting is not really that cheap for 2 pieces of headlight tint. And don't know if it doesn't work if the tape that is on the splitters can be replaced!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Personally, headlight splitters are not my thing. I would got the a local shop that does tint work, explain your concerns, and maybe see if you can get your hands on some scrap material. If your tint is high end, and you have success with scrap tint, seems to me it's a non issue. I know my tint guy would definintly hook me up. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:37 PM
1sickpony

LOL, Im kinda in the same boat! I am not sure about the splitters but am thinking with the headlights black and the splitters on, I might be a fan! That contrast I think would look good! I also did talk to my tint guy but hes telling me that the tint for windows is different than the stuff for headlights because they are plastic and the tint needs to be conformed to the rounded edges thats where the vinyl tint and expense comes in! Thanks for your input!
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Ok here may be some useful input....I have a full viynal clear bra on my Stang. I also have a few custom pieces installed. I have ROUSH louvers installed, but before I installed them, I "acquired" a second set of templates. Why you ask, lol....because I took some cardboard, affixed the template to it, cut it out a little bigger, then gave it to my clear bra guy. He made me two pieces of clear viynal a little bigger than the original template to install around the rear quarter windows. Why you ask, lol...because the ROUSH louvers install with brackets, affixing them to the car around this area with 3M tape. Essentially, my louvers never touch my paint, and the brackets with the 3M tape are affixed to the clear viynal, NOT MY PAINT. I followed the manufactures instructions to a T, 5 years later, still on, no problems. The moral of the story, your headlight film is the same stuff, don't worry, I will not be a problem, I garentee it! BTW, any small imperfections in viynal, scuffs, scratches, blemishes, can be completely removed with a heat gun, I've done it!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd like to see a pic of the tinted splitter combo.
Seen both separate but never together.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
1sickpony

Well Im still not totally sold on the splitters but if you google headlight splitters in google images there is a white mustang with the tinted headlights and splitters! I would attach a pic of it if I knew how!