Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT/CS Interior Painting Questions/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
If you just want some accents of white inside, get some white welt to go around your door panel inserts, and the lower dash/aluminum applique. Those would go with the shift boot you already have, and bring a little of the exterior inside.
Thank you for your input! I was thinking, and yeah really if I do anything, I'm going to have to repaint the door panels. But I really, really like this welting idea after seeing a couple of photos.

http://home.comcast.net/~starfire1010/welt2.jpg

I only have one concern. My driver door panel was sagging, and I had just done this fix to my friend's car and it looked brand spanking new. I went to peel mine back, and it seems that the previous owner had tried to fix it, but failed, so contact cement was built up in there, it was nearly impossible to pull apart, and the leather had to be stretched slightly so my panel has a couple of very slight wrinkles in it ( I was pissed ) very frustrating, as I strive for perfection on my cars. So I would probably need to find a fix for that before I could welt.

It's becoming difficult to envision a way to work out all that grey and keep the "flow" of the interior.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM
1SilverGT
1st Gear Member

Talking

IF i was that was my car and i wanted a black on white interior i would want it like this. The "B" is for the pices i would paint black and "W" for white. but its just my opinions and im not a professional

Name:  okvfo3.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  174.7 KB
Name:  30x8qja.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  135.4 KB
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1SilverGT
IF i was that was my car and i wanted a black on white interior i would want it like this. The "B" is for the pices i would paint black and "W" for white. but its just my opinions and im not a professional
Yes, I was thinking of something like this! I didn't really want to replace the aluminum part of the dash ( or paint it because you'd have to deactivate the airbag I'm sure ) but I'm starting to think that mostly black (top/bottom dash, door panels, pillars) with stripes and stitching of white would look good. But some of these ideas are a bit out of my experience level, and probably price range.

I have no idea how much re-stitching seats in white would be, I would assume probably expensive. I wouldn't want to paint the top fabric because I hear that doesn't look/smell/feel very good, so suedeing would be the next option, and that's probably pretty expensive as well. Also, if I wanted to eliminate ALL of the grey, I'd have to get the leather in my seats redone, as I don't think that'd be smart to paint either. As for the shift boot, it has a slight rip in it and it doesn't properly fit my shifter, last owner couldn't find a fitting one and I can't really either (parts # M-7210-T1) but Redline said they could do one for me, so I figured I could get something custom from them too.

Just some thoughts, But thanks for all the feedback!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I don't know man...awfully risky. If done in professional quality, it MIGHT look awesome. The first hint of a mistake or DIY half ***-ed-ness, and it's going to look like a fast and the furious wanna be raped your car for a weekend.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Personally I'd go all black for the interior, with just a couple of chrome accents to break the monotony, which is what I plan to do if I ever grow ***** big enough to attempt something like this.