Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Calling all "The Spoiler Store" customers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback. This pretty much removed any doubts I had about a $100 painted wing.

I see my fellow North Alabamians found this thread also.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

no regrets here! mine still looks great years later
Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

I have had my wing for a year and it still looks great. Just know that you do have to drill 2 more holes in your decklid near the edges to get it to sit flush. If you dont the double sided tape is not enough to hold it flush and you will have a half inch gap between the tape and the spoiler.

This is what you get if you dont drill, I didnt want to right away.

Name:  IMAG0043.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by BeachBlv; 11-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Yuck, that is a red flag for me. Not interested in drilling at all.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
I have had my wing for a year and it still looks great. Just know that you do have to drill 2 more holes in your decklid near the edges to get it to sit flush. If you dont the double sided tape is not enough to hold it flush and you will have a half inch gap between the tape and the spoiler.

This is what you get if you dont drill, I didnt want to right away.
No hole drilling for me. If you prep the surface right and let the spoiler sit for at least 24 hours without driving the car then it should be fine. As memory serves there are only two screw holes in spoiler itself. So if you drill more holes in the decklid how does the spoiler fasten to it?
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
Thanks for all the feedback. This pretty much removed any doubts I had about a $100 painted wing.

I see my fellow North Alabamians found this thread also.
What part of Huntsville do you live?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

I live off of Madison Blvd. close to the base. I swear I think I've seen you around before. (Maybe 2 months ago?) I was at the Publix on Madison Blvd. and saw a car that looked exactly like yours going west towards 65.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM
BeachBlv
2nd Gear Member

Yeah there are four holes in the spoiler, two of which line up with the holes from the pedestal spoiler, and two toward the end of the deck lid all with metal threads in them. I didn't want to drill extra holes in my deck lid either so I left it with that gap for almost a year. Believe me I prepped the surface with alcohol pads and adhesion promoter, the tape on the spoiler still did not want to stick even with me pushing down on it as hard as I could because the spoiler didn't conform to the lid. I just recently emailed the spoiler store and complained the spoiler was warped and they told me to drill the two extra holes and even sent me the extra hardware to do it the right way.

Not a good pic, but you can see the bolts I drilled for on the right. You can see I had to tighten it so much just to get it flush it bent in the metal around the bolt.

Name:  IMAG0113.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  54.8 KB

But at least it look like it should now.

Name:  IMAG0110.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  44.1 KB

Last edited by BeachBlv; 11-15-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeachBlv
Yeah there are four holes in the spoiler, two of which line up with the holes from the pedestal spoiler, and two toward the end of the deck lid all with metal threads in them. I didn't want to drill extra holes in my deck lid either so I left it with that gap for almost a year. Believe me I prepped the surface with alcohol pads and adhesion promoter, the tape on the spoiler still did not want to stick even with me pushing down on it as hard as I could because the spoiler didn't conform to the lid. I just recently emailed the spoiler store and complained the spoiler was warped and they told me to drill the two extra holes and even sent me the extra hardware to do it the right way.

Not a good pic, but you can see the bolts I drilled for on the right. You can see I had to tighten it so much just to get it flush it bent in the metal around the bolt.

But at least it look like it should now.

Wow... it's a drag you had to do that. It's been a couple years since I installed mine so I can't remember how many holes the spoiler had. My driver's side of the spoiler was a little warped. I was able to clamp it down with a giant C clamp and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Took care of that problem. If you decide to change the spoiler anything you get should cover the holes you drilled tho.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

If mine starts to do that I'm just ripping it off and welding the holes shut

Quick Reply: Calling all "The Spoiler Store" customers